2 Likes

Alpine Linux

1 Like

Alpine would be amazing :smiley:

1 Like

Alpine is the shit, even in a Docker container the best choice

https://hub.docker.com/_/alpine

1 Like

Exactly. I use it a lot when building microservices, or Docker images.

2 Likes

good choice

robust, very safe, low mem, no systemd and just barebones

Also very cool is the installer, all is precompiled against MUSL with an intel grade compiler

Fast installs without any bs, it’s like NetBSD and Slackware made a lovebaby

1 Like

Hi @WSS, your wish has been forwarded to our team. Also, I made sure to count every comment as a request :slight_smile: So far the team doesn’t see it as popular enough to add it to our library … I’ll keep passing on every single vote for Void. So encourage more people to request it.

Poor prospects for Alpine Linux unfortunately… The team is hesitant to add it as image to the library because it is indeed used in containers, but rarely on servers themselves. But it’s the same as for Void, so vote vote vote. :smiley:
–Julia, Marketing

You’d be surprised how many people use Alpine on servers or vps directly (like me)

Reason nobody knows is because Alpine doesn’t show up in server headers (obfuscation)

For instance, you install Apache on Debian and don’t shield headers, you see Apache on Debian version x.xx etc, but with Alpine it would show “Apache on Linux”

This way the usage stats look like nobody uses it.

1 Like

I run Alpine native for my nameservers; it’s small and tight and does small tasks just perfectly.

Completely forgot about my invoice… two weeks late and no service suspension. I’m amazed.

1 Like

How’s that even possible?
I never take more than 5 mins haha.

2 Likes

Saw the email while on the move and thought to myself, I’ll take care of this as soon as I get to the office. Then forgot all about it… and it got buried among other emails… pretty nice of Hetzer not to suspend my services.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification about why it might look like the usage is low. However, the team considers many factors when they discuss if they should add an image to the library or not. I personally am not integrated in the discussions. I just mediate :slight_smile:

I guess the team needs to see more demand and then they can redecde if it’s really worthwhile adding Alpine and Void to the library.

Hope you guys add netboot.xyz, would avoid many further requests.

2 Likes

…and now they’re going to scan for that ISO as a reject.

1 Like

I have already suggested it many times. Its the smallest ISO ever haha.

dd if=wget -O- of=/dev/sda && reboot

1 Like

sudo rm -rf /bin/rm

Great! Then it’s probably on our wishlist already. I’ll add a +1 for you anyways :wink:

–Julia

1 Like

Hi Julia,

My 42,402 other personalities are sad you haven’t adopted Void.

1 Like