What NAS Do You Use At Home?

Hey everyone :smiley:

Just curious what NAS solutions you may be using at home? I have a home server with Proxmox which hosts my OpenMediaVault VM, which acts as my NAS. Just wondered if anyone was using anything better :stuck_out_tongue:

Only reason Iā€™m not using TrueNAS is because I just wanted a NAS, not everything else TrueNAS brings with it.

I just funnel everything into Nextcloud. GitHub - nextcloud/nextcloudpi: šŸ“¦ Build code for NextcloudPi: Raspberry Pi, Odroid, Rock64, Docker, curl installer...

Even for home use? Thatā€™s interesting. My past experiences with NextCloud werenā€™t too great to be honest, though the last time I properly used it was probably 7 years ago

1 Like

Using NC but donā€™t like it much , seems sluggish even tho the hardware is decent :man_shrugging:

Edit my main home server will get an upgrade into a 3900x

1 Like

I have been using Unraid on an older Dell server. Total of (4) 4TB drives and two external USB drives for backup targets. Itā€™s so easy to get running. I have many Docker containers running and doing various things and it is very easy to keep everything up to date.

1 Like

I see a lot of people using Unraid nowadays :smiley: My issue is that I like Proxmox, so I only really want a NAS solution and not a hypervisor replacement :smiley:

Kind of curious what features of a layered NAS package people use over and above basic file sharing in a home setup.

I used to use Proxmox a long time ago for dabbling with OSes but when downgrading to a more eco friendly Baytrail system (J1900) switched to just vanilla Debian with NFS/Samba for file sharing, Serviio for media stuff, and LXC/Docker for anything fussy.

I do use NextCloud for offsite/mobile file sharing (on a VPS) but just canā€™t see the benefit ā€˜at homeā€™.

Debian with LVM + a Docker container for Samba (and Plex + the *arr stack). This is all I really need. Custom built server (i5 10400, 32 GB RAM, 36 TB storage + 1 TB SSD cache). I like to stick to the upstream as close as possible (in this case Debian) for stability and performance reasons. This is the same reason why Iā€™m using Docker compose with a manually composed YAML file and not software like Portainer.

Nextcloud for everything else (pictures, documents, etc). The Samba share only provides an easy way of dumping files on the network and accessing media files directly.

I have a second homeserver running Proxmox for creating development VMā€™s and that type of things, but it doesnā€™t do any NAS related tasks. This server is more for playing around and not touching the ā€œmainā€ server since it runs services I more or less depend on (Home Assistant for example).

2 Likes

You and I are the same in this regard :stuck_out_tongue:

How do you find NextCloud these days? Reliable? Howā€™s the desktop sync client?

1 Like

It improved a lot over the last few major releases up to the point itā€™s quite stable and reliable now. I used to have the odd issues back in the days like broken/malfunctioning sync on Windows clients and slow performance on the UI but itā€™s much better now even with the default settings (it can be more performant with Redis for example but itā€™s fine with the default php cache on my hardware).

If you havenā€™t touched it lately, definitely give it another shot. Iā€™m using FolderSync on Android to synchronize all my photos and videos to Nextcloud and I think Iā€™ve been doing that for 4 years now with absolutely no issues or whatsoever. Currently at 10,000 items and counting (just the camera roll). For Windows I just copy the stuff I want to sync to the appropriate folder and trust the client takes care of it, and the client hasnā€™t let me down over the last few years, not even once

1 Like

Really appreciate it! Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the moment I use a combination of Dropbox (for movies), Google Photos* and a single SSD connected to my docking station for entire system backups with Veeam.

I have been planning on making my own NAS based on TrueNAS and Jonsbo N1 chassis. The chassis is somewhat expensive, though you can put your own CPU that will vastly outperform any Synology or QNAP and use that for virtualization for i.e. nextcloud, pihole and others. In EU you can get 18TB Seagate Exos drives for about 300ā‚¬ from Amazon. So for roughly 2000ā‚¬ you can have 90TB (raw) / 72TB (raidz-1) NAS that outperforms any prebuilt NAS.

Linus Tech Tips actually made a video on that chassis: This blows away the competition - JONSBO N1 NAS Build - YouTube

As for Google Photos - I am using Pixel Experience ROM and it tricks Google Photos into thinking that I have Pixel with unlimited photo storage. I know that there are modified Google Photos apps on XDA Forums that do the same.

1 Like

Possible sidetrack: But are any such still honored? I got a Pixel 7. Didnā€™t find any info on included unlimited storage ā€¦ :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I thought I remembered Google putting out a statement saying they wouldnā€™t be offering it anymore. I could be misremembering though :sweat_smile:

Oh, and my current NAS is a plain debian, running as hypervisor for KVM, also hosting LXC v1 and v2 containers, and running ZFS ā€¦
Might look at something different when I get a new server. (This is a older HP server.) Would love to find something thatā€™s silent (I donā€™t have a dedicated server room in our house), and I donā€™t need more than 2x10/12 TB or something, so I donā€™t need 6 or 8 harddrive bays ā€¦ :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s your problem :stuck_out_tongue:

Pixel 1 gets unlimited original quality, Pixels 2-5 get unlimited ā€œStorage saverā€ quality.

Gotcha ā€¦ Well, Iā€™d actually prefer to keep my Pixel 7 over switching to a Pixel 1 ā€¦ :wink:

In the cloud I have NextCloud, and some other backup solutions, but my home server is a BananaPi (M1) that serves our mail on Dovecot and our files over ssh (and I have minidlnad for streaming music).

The Pi is getting old, so I am pondering what to replace it with. Probably with something equally small. I liked the BananaPi for its SATA slot, but nowadays using USB3 is easy and fast, so many options. The reason for the Pi is portability, we used to travel quite a bit, and itā€™s nice to take your server with youā€¦!

2 Likes

When I travel I have my Gl.Inet router with me that creates a dedicated WiFi network that connects to home via VPN. That way, I basically take my home network with me without the hassle of actually taking it physically

1 Like

Nowadays I can do that too, because the home internet connection is more reliable the past few years. Still like to keep it small, because I donā€™t need a powerful home server for our needs.

1 Like