What NAS Do You Use At Home?

I use one of these too. I have an external USB drive for movies and TV shows to share out in case I am somewhere with no internet.

2 Likes

You’re right that the Synology CPUs are generally lousy. It’s the software that’s really great. Kind of like Apple back in the PowerPC days.

Anyway, I’ve been depending on a Synology for a few years now and it’s been pretty drama-free. They’re going more and more down the road of making it difficult to use third party drives though, so I’m not sure I’ll buy a new one once I need to upgrade, but it’s been good for what it is.

Synology. Just picked up a DS423+ to replace a DS218+ with an old single bay offsite.

Currently decommissioning an unraid box. Unraid was great when hard drives were small and expensive. Now it’s cheap and easy to pick up 20TB drives and move from a big ass rackmount power-hungry supermicro dual cpu setup to a small power efficient 4 bay Synology. If shit hits the fan it’s way easier to grab the 4 bay on my way out the door than a 4u rackmounted beast.

It was cool to have a huge homelab server setup but I’m good with purpose built gear now.

I’ll probably have some decent hardware for sale soon, boards, CPUs, memory, spinning rust… Cleaning out old crap to make moving the hell out of this god forsaken state easier.

2 Likes

I ended up switching from OpenMediaVault under a Proxmox VM to TrueNAS Core under a Proxmox VM. I had a number of OpenMediaVault permissions issues, which I definitely could have resolved, but eh, TrueNAS is cool :sweat_smile:

I have a Zyxel NAS326.

It has a variety of functions I don’t even use. I like it, it’s cheap and it just works.

I wish there is a replacement that works as good as Google Photos. I have pending to move all my photos from all my devices to a single one (and have backups) because my Google One account is almost full.

I use a lenovo P500 with some drives and proxmox… I am thinking about getting pair of topton R1 Pro, running proxmox on them both and having them as redundant NAS nodes…

My current iteration:

• R7 5800X
  • 48GB WAM
  • 8x 12TB TOSHIBA HDDs (mgo7aca12te)
  • 2x 1TB “Gigastone” SSDs (game storage)
  • Rosewill 4U Chassis

Runs RHEL 9 w/ SMB. Plex recently got moved off of this server and onto another blade - turns out most of the memory gets eaten up for ZFS. HDDs are in a raidz2-0 config, while my game storage is in raidz1-0.

(while ZFS does release memory when pressure is sufficient, having more caching just makes it breeze through even my largest file transfers, so… yeah)

3 Likes

96 tb …damn !!! What a collection ! hahaha

Sadly, useable space is closer to 65 TB because of RAID ^

:frowning:

2 Likes

even that you would have enough entertainment for MONTHS !!! even hollywood strikes during some time. Enjoy it ! :smiley:

Haha, there are no Linux ISOs to speak of :blush:

1 Like