Recommended WordPress Plugins?

Main wp - for centralised updates

Elementor - my preferred page builder if I have too do wordpress

1 Like

@anon40039896 WP2Static reduced loading time of that sample bread theme from 2,9 seconds (infinityworld.cf) to ~500ms (click ) :slight_smile:

Really awesome for non dynamic sites.

2 Likes

WP RSS Exporter.

1 Like

Iā€™m VERY satisfied with HostMantis. Their support doesnā€™t do much hand holding, which is fine with me. They can be a little picky -

https://my.hostmantis.com/knowledgebase/249/WordPress-plugins-we-do-not-recommend.html

The knowledgebase is about the best Iā€™ve seen for a shared host. I donā€™t need anything better for my static WP sites for any price.

2 Likes

I would HIGHLY recommend Autoptimize.

It does static file minification and merging, and it does it really well. Combine with something like W3 Total Cache / WP Super Cache and you got yourself a nice and fast website.

5 Likes

Big fan of SEO Framework, a really lightweight SEO plugin alternative.

Also, Iā€™m generally too lazy to deal with Askimet so I tend to install Antispam Bee instead, which works just as well as Askimet in my experience.

3 Likes
  • Yoast SEO
  • JetPack
  • Revisions Manager (to disable revisions, duh) (I know it can be done by adding a line of code in wp_config.php but meh)
  • Google Analytics Dashboard
3 Likes

I do recommend not a plugin but a setting for any of the security plugins or do it manually.

To block the hole range of OVHā€™s IPv4. Simply because many of the bruteforceattacks and similar attacks comes from OVHā€™s cheap range of VPS or dedisā€¦

Find the IP-range here https://kit1.dk/2019/06/21/block-ovh-ip4-range/

1 Like

Funnily enough, the amount of bruteforce we see from OVH is minimal.

2 Likes

most I see is HiNet (Chunghwa)

Stealing this from @404error

https://shortpixel.com/

1 Like

I do recommend the hole package from WPMUDEV. Great plugins and specially the support for all sort of wordpress issues.

3 Likes

+1 yup my Centmin Mod wordpress auto installer installs autoptimize by default with optional end user selectable Autoptimize Gzip companion plugin of mine which automatically precompresses Autoptimizeā€™d css/js via gzip and brotli compression if you have php brotli extension https://community.centminmod.com/threads/my-first-wordpress-autoptimize-gzip-companion-plugin.15314/ :slight_smile: Mad performance combined with Centmin Mod Nginx which by default enables gzip_static and brotli_static (if brotli nginx module is enabled) so you can allow Nginx to serve pre-compressed gzip or brotli css/js optimised files - which can be up to 20-40x times faster :slight_smile:

WebP Express plugin looks good too - early development so going through alot of versions still but looking to optionally add it as a selectable choice for my Centmin Mod wordpress autoinstaller https://community.centminmod.com/threads/installing-webp-express-wordpress-plugin-on-centmin-mod-nginx.17469/

2 Likes

I use this one

3 Likes

@anon40039896 @Ympker If you want some true low end, high performance hostingā€¦ just combine WP2Static with Netlify. Have your site live on a CDN for free, as long as you arenā€™t pushing crazy traffic (bandwidth soft cap for free plan is like 100GB/mo).

3 Likes

The only advantage Divi has is itā€™s so slow that I can charge people to remove it and make their website faster.

In general I try and use as little as possible in terms of plugins - so many ā€œdevelopersā€ will use a plugin (that hasnā€™t been updated in 3 years) to do something they could easily do themselves. The result being the site gets hacked.

There are some good, well maintained plugins though.

Advanced custom fields pro, contact form 7, etc, are all useful.

It seems we disagree then. I guess everyone needs to decide for themselves the value they get from Divi :slight_smile:

From a ā€œspeed of developmentā€ point of view, I can understand why people use it.

But it does add a lot of overhead to a site which even caching doesnā€™t resolve.

I end up inheriting a lot of existing sites, so from an ongoing maintenance/development point of view it does have itā€™s downsides.

1 Like

A Website created with Divi and transferred to Static Site via WP2Static loads in 400-500ms. I donā€™t need my sites to load any faster, really.

1 Like

Iā€™m basing a lot of this on the fact that disabling the Divi theme/builder drastically speeds sites up - but even converted to static content, thereā€™s a lot of JS doing things which affect the final load time.

I had a site that had an 8 second load time, dropped to 1-1.5 second with Divi disabled - I ended up retheming the site.

I know everyone has their own way of doing things, and certainly not wanting to slate other devs or create an argument, but in my experience stuff like Divi themes/builders have been used to speed up initial dev time, not on going maintenance time.

On the other side of things - I donā€™t know how much people have done with the new Gutenberg editor - but IMO it negates the need for page builders completely. Everyone can be done with custom blocks natively, and most importantly, itā€™s quicker straight away.
And Iā€™m saying that as someone who works with wordpress but isnā€™t a big fan of it lol.

3 Likes