Linkedin: are you active there?

The network I don’t like the most is LinkedIn. Too much meaningless words. Almost nobody delivers quality stuff (or it’s just people around me?)

Anyway it seems people like LinkedIn and I have decided to become more active with really short posts about tech stuff I discover from time to time, mostly related to self hosting.

What about you? Are you there?

2 Likes

/r/linkedinlunatics

2 Likes

I have a profile there because that’s a must have when you’re looking for a job nowadays. I do try and apply for a job a few times a year, just to know what other companies feel like and what I’m worth in terms of salary.

That said, I’m not active, I just look at vacancies every now and then. LinkedIn has become the new Facebook/X where people want to make sure you make part of their “amazing lifestyle”. I don’t post nor reply anything, I feel I’d have a fulltime job pointing out how wrong people are with their crazy “opinions”. Populism works, but it annoys me to death. Don’t even get me started on recruiters…

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m more or less the same as @Solaire. I occasionally repost work-related stuff (or colleagues’ posts), but that’s more or less it

2 Likes

I rarely post something, but I use too. Sort of to build up a resume. Like @Solaire pointed out, it’s often required nowadays.

2 Likes

Last year I was looking for a job and decided to update my profile. Oh man that site made me feel really really bad.

3 Likes

Just put “For hire” and watch all the HR spammers slide into your DMs :slight_smile: .

I keep a profile for lulz, but I don’t use it.

5 Likes

I hate those HR guys who pm you all the time lol.

2 Likes

I have a profile there too, but damn those spammers!

4 Likes

It’s good to see you around, mate. Hope all’s well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I summoned him by running sudo the other day

4 Likes

Never even typed the site into an address bar lol

I go on every once in a while to like all the posts from people I know who are looking for work. I used to use it before I had a job.

I’ve started removing people I don’t know from my contacts

I got a “congratulations on 17 years with LinkedIn” email from them yesterday but I don’t really use the site. Reddit is really the only social media I use regularly and I deleted my account there when they decided to start charging to use their API (and when the Apollo shutdown). I eventually went back (and pay for Narwal now) but if I had to use the default site or mobile app I’d probably quit (again).

That makes two of us!