cPanel Change in Pricing

2 Likes

They already updated their pricing on the website. So I guess it means they didnā€™t even bother to give ya all a heads up. Pretty lame of them.

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m not envisioning anyone to paying $40 for the hosting and $480 for the cPanel fee.

If the LET players have to hike their prices to match the big boys, then the LETers will be less motivated to risk using a less known operator. cPanel doesnā€™t care, but in the end the customers will be rapped again as soon as the market consolidates even moreā€¦ IMHO

Wow, what a dick move.

4 Likes

The end is nigh.

Never doubt.

11k extra cost quite a lot to absorb, a few options pass the extra cost to client but I doubt users especially on the cheaper plan will be willing to pay more.

The only option long-term would be migrate Mxroute away from Cpanel.

3 Likes

This does not just effect low end hosts, they didnā€™t even give notice to their partners. If anything, the price hike on the really big providers is going to look like an opportunity to say: ā€œletā€™s consider this a loss, but spend it on finding an alternative.ā€ Even smaller hosts (that donā€™t even use cPanel for its shared hosting purpose) like @Jarland are looking at $11K increased costs overnight.

For the big providers, I imagine that the increased costs are going to be equivalent to paying for:

1. Training all staff on the new alternative (DA for example).
  2. Paying a top tier design firm to skin DA and match cPanelā€™s look as much as possible to aide in customer transition.
  3. Any development costs required to wrap around DA and emulate cPanel in certain areas.

I donā€™t know if that will actually happen, and if it does how many providers will go that route, but this is businessā€¦ I am sure tons of businesses are happy to go down that route and optimize rather than taking the hit.

1 Like

I agree. DirectAdmin is looking ripe for a takeover. Thatā€™s an early thought, donā€™t hold me to it.

10 Likes

If you need some guinea pigs, you know where to find us :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can try DA shell with rm rfā€¦oh waitā€¦ :smiley:

Truth be spoken I found DAā€™s new theme to be ā€œmodernā€ but didnā€™t like the workflow. Maybe just too used to cPanel :S

2 Likes

What if hostingproviders start donating / investing this price increase into the free alternatives, or in support for these alternatives ?

You would get mentioned in the sponsor pages, which is great for creating goodwill :

3 Likes

ispConfig is my personal winner among the free panels - hands down. Hestia is more simple but ispConfig is stable and more than production ready. Lots of active members, staff replies fast, devs are nice.

3 Likes

Agree

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard ispConfig is much more complex/advanced compared to cPanel, is this true? While ispConfig may be more production-ready than the other contenders, most hosts will likely go with whichever panel will have the least amount of growing pains for their userbase.

The closest thing to cPanelā€™s pretty interface would be DirectAdmin with Evolution Skin. Not sure if there exists one for ispConfig or other panels.

1 Like

Personally had plans to divulge into Direct Admin since Fran started offering it. Iā€™ve already moved a handful of my personal over. This price change is 100% disgusting. I donā€™t get why companies think higher pricing and losing customers is better than acceptable pricing and gaining customers.

3 Likes

For the end user it is very organized imho. Also supports nearly all languages. Anyway try the live demo perhaps :slight_smile:
It also supports multi server. Install on one server the panel and manage multiple servers (have all your users login on that one panel).

3 Likes

Time to say goodbye to those sweet BF deals

2 Likes

Itā€™s pretty common on the retail space.
Companies look for the tip point where increase in price is no longer profitable vs lost clients.

Selling less is not always the same has less revenue.

What cPanel is doing is exacly why what people have been warning about the SaaS model.

2 Likes

ISPConfig is basically what would happen if cPanel was open source, had more flexibility and more features.

I would say itā€™s one of the oldest and most reliable open source shared hosting panels thatā€™s still in development.

6 Likes