Calling All Home Server Owners -- What Do You Use Your Servers For?

Hello! Nice to see all of you over here! I use my home servers for all sorts of things. I have a three node Proxmox cluster running a number of LXC containers and VMs used for things such as Seafile, backup servers, websites, Plex, DNS, DHCP, router, project work, and git hosting.

Here’s a photo of my setup :smiley:

10 Likes

Hey Jack! Welcome :slight_smile:

Damn that setup is nice to look at. One of these days I’ll set up all my gear nice and neat instead of just throwing everything in a closet with cables everywhere :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey! Thanks for the invite :slight_smile:

It’s been this week’s project… Quite pleased so far. The yellow mess are two 4 Gbps LAGGs for the optiplexes to iPXE/iSCSI boot from when I get round to it. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m sure your power bill isn’t cheap :smiley:
Edit: love your setup though!

@Miguel Not too bad if you squint, turn your head to the side and look at the bill through the lide of an ice cream tub. On first glance though some may consider it a little high :confused:

2 Likes

I think that’d be the only way to deal with it… :stuck_out_tongue:

The Odroid’s rock as little powerhouses, but check out the NanoPi as well. The Neo is a great alternative to a Zero and has onboard Ethernet, run Armbian on it. I have half a dozen that are great for DNS servers.

But the home server I run is just a little build box for CI/CD and Plex.

2 Likes

Have a 3TB NAS from MyCloud for storage^^

3 Likes

HP Microserver Gen 8 (ESXi 6.5)

• Windows DC
  • OPNSense Firewall
  • Unifi controller (wifi and CCTV)
  • Windows 7 (for remote desktop access)
  • Windows 7 connected to a weather station

Raspberry Pi behind every TV running Kodi

Kinda extended it to my dedi

• FreePBX
  • NextCloud backup
1 Like

Are you using FreePBX for your home phone? If so how are you liking it?

Home servers are being slowly retired, most of them are just inflating my electricity bill.

1 Like

Take a recording of the white noise first. You’ll never be able to sleep again without the sound of an airplane engine.

My lord, that setup looks awesome. Those cables… O_O

1 Like

Quite fortunate that land is rather cheap here.

They’re all running in a detached bachelors pad, so I hardly ever hear them :stuck_out_tongue:

Where do I apply for the shittiest server contest?

Server: Pentium 4 / 256MB DDR RAM / 40 GB HDD + 1 TB HDD

Use: Samba file server. I know I should get an Orange Pi or something, however this is not powered on at all times so the power usage is not an issue. I just WOL it when needed, which is once or twice a week tops.

2 Likes

I’ve got a Netgear NAS with 4x3TB HDD which serves me quite well for its purpose.
No other “server”-usage at home to speak of.

1 Like

Yeah I am! The thing I use it most for it the ability to get my home phone to ring on my mobile (Android SIP client) and getting voicemails sent straight (with attachment) to my email

In terms of the PSTN / freepbx interface I am using a linksys spa2102, I do need to think about replacing this as it’s get unreliable now :frowning:

1 Like

Hmm, I’ve been meaning to get a some IP telephony up and running for when I move house - any tips/pointers? Maybe this is best saved for another thread :')

I usually have some consumer grade hardware laying around, so I made cheap & dirty mining ring:

• Intel DQ25JOE
  • C2D E6550
  • MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
  • Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 AMP! 6GB
  • Be Quiet Pure Power L8 530W

… I also added 2nd graphic card to my main PC, so it can mine too. It’s working pretty much 24/7 as it’s doing as remote desktop server too. Now it consists of:

• i5 7600k @4.4GHz
  • Cryorig R1 Universal
  • HyperX Savage 2x8GB 2800MHz
  • MSI RX 470 Gaming X 8GB - BIOS modded
  • Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 AMP! 6GB
  • MSI Mortar Z270M
  • SielntiumPC Vero M1 600W

…as for the services I generally use servers outside my home :stuck_out_tongue: I have quite few of them :wink:

1 Like
  • Dual Intel Xeon E5-2650v1 @2.0Ghz C2 (SR0KQ)
  • 2x Coolermaster Hyper 412 Slim
  • Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
  • 64GB DDR3-1866Mhz
  • 4x256GB SSD

Used for

• All things Centmin Mod testing
  • Docker

yes cases are overrated :grinning:

3 Likes