Any cPanel Bare Metal Users?

Hello All,
I am looking to speak with a few of you who use cPanel on bare-metal AND are having some anxiety about the upcoming pricing changes. I have some concepts I want to bounce by you over the phone and get your opinions on if they are advantageous for you or not. PM if you are willing to give me a few minutes on the phone to talk.

Steve

1 Like

@AnthonySmith maybe?

1 Like

We’ll talk tomorrow if you have time. Look forward to it!

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Let me know what you’d like to discuss, I’ve managed thousands of cPanel servers.

1 Like

We do use few servers hardware with cPanel. Can you share us with some brief info?

1 Like

I put everything inside 1 big VPS, its just significantly easier to manage than bare metal and has a ton of advantages, frankly I do not understand why anyone would run it on bare metal, there are literally no advantages.

Happy to have a conversation although my opinion may not be relevant if you really only want bare metal related opinions.

7 Likes

VPS is definitely easier to back up and has better deals often :smiley:
Probably we’ll see lots more people using big-spec VPS from Contabo, PHPFriends, Netcup now. Some will also use dedi and create a vm on it I guess.

1 Like

With the new pricing the cost for a big VPS or a dedicated server with over 100 accounts on it is pretty much the same. It is the pricing I want to discuss not so much the use case. We want to make our offering of cPanel easy for our customers, easier than how cPanel offers it at least, and I want to have some open dialogues with people who have servers with 200 - 1000 accounts on a single server to ensure I understand everyone’s pain points.

2 Likes

Pain points?

Resellers need to be limited and pay the price increase, that’s what this is all about (at least for the reseller plans, shared plans are mostly fine as it is in the avg company).

Though, cPanel billing for suspended accounts is non sense.

1 Like

The main advantage of dedi vs virtual to me, is LATENCY

30 - 50 ms lower on avg, on oversold or busy systems a tad more

1 Like

Holy Balls! @anon40039896 you need to configure your nodes better hahaha 50ms?

It is so low on mine its not measurable in ms.

1 Like

Virtualization shouldn’t even add more than some microseconds, are you sure?

2 Likes

@AnthonySmith

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/327482365_Performance_Evaluation_of_Xen_KVM_and_Proxmox_Hypervisors

1 Like

Many many years ago I used to run cPanel in a container to get the cheaper “VPS only” pricing, even though it was the only thing running on the server. At the time (probably 12 years ago?) I was using Linux-Vserver as OpenVZ wasn’t very stable yet. For a while, I was actually using a server at Hivelocity for that :slight_smile:

I haven’t administered a cPanel server since 2012 so I probably don’t have anything relevant to say.

Are you one of my clients?

2 Likes
2 Likes

How are you looking this week?

1 Like

Unkempt and slightly hungover. Same as usual.

3 Likes