What Is Your Preferred Shell?

I’m sure most people will choose Bash as it’s the default, but I’m curious to know if anyone uses something different, and if so, why? I personally use Zsh due to its extended functionality and feature set over Bash.

• Bash
  • Csh
  • Fish
  • Ksh
  • Tcsh
  • Zsh
  • Other

0 voters

Never bash Bash or I’ll bash you.

Bash on all my machines. HPC machines at work use csh, so I use that quite a bit as well but still prefer bash.

2 Likes

Anyone using Zsh, the Zombie Shell ? :zombie:

3 Likes

Lol, I hoped that at least one other person would be using Zsh :laughing: Or at least something other than Bash.

1 Like

Lol look at @Wolveix all alone up there.

3 Likes

“up there” being the focus of that sentence :wink: Zsh > Bash :kissing_heart:

1 Like

You’re an emacs guy, aren’t you?

2 Likes

To speedup that slow shell a bit :wink:

2 Likes

Hahaha, no I am not :stuck_out_tongue: I only started using Zsh a few months ago when a colleague suggested it.

1 Like

I’ll tell you what my least favorite shell is - MasonShell. Had to create a shell from scratch in C for a graduate OS course. Project was the bane of my existence for those couple months. It somewhat worked, but only implemented very basic shell functionality (ls, mv, cp, cat, touch, etc etc.)

3 Likes

Bush Shell

http://bush.sourceforge.net

Abandoned in 2003… had a lot of potential.

Zsh because i like Oh-My-Zsh

2 Likes

Haha, I laughed harder than I should from that :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There you go. You now have three people using zsh.

As to why I now primarly use zsh - it comes default with Manjaro and I’ve just fallen in love with the autocompletion based on previous commands, not to mention it integrates with git and shows the current git status.

1 Like

Fear not @Wolveix I also am a fan of ZSH. Use it on all my machines. Love the changing directories shortcuts and the plugins are killer (Oh My ZSH) And the configurable left and right prompts a just to die for :smile:

2 Likes
5 Likes

That looks very interesting! :smiley:

I also love Bash i used to work with Zsh at work but didn’t quiet understood what was so different so i contined with bash XD.

And i am using bash-it on it to make my shell look better too i really recommand it their is surely the same thing for other shells.

I just took a stab at zsh and I like what I see! :smiley:

2 Likes

Zsh is great!

2 Likes