Vultr

From https://www.vultr.com/faq/:

Do you allow outbound SMTP?

In some instances, outbound traffic to the SMTP port may be blocked for new accounts. If you encounter this restriction, contact our support team from the customer portal.

Admittedly, they don’t say much.

Yeah, and that’s pretty down in the FAQ page.

Why not use something like SES for outbound. They offer something ridiculous like 62k outbound per month for free.

So what you’re saying is that Vultr sucks and Amazon is awesome?

Not sure if that was directed at my SES comment or not.

I really like Vultr and haven’t had problems personally. I do use SES though for all my outbound for a few reasons. One being that it isn’t blocked and I won’t have problems with the provider. Two being that it’s a lot easier to get into the inbox than running your own server.

Pretty soon I’ll be running my own service though :wink:

On that note I did find vultr IP rep to be decent when using it to test my in house outbound setup. I never received a complaint about it despite routing about 1% of email through it for ~2-3 months.

I wish SES didn’t require domain verification :frowning:

It was. In the sense that Vultr does not sell itself as a no-email-alowed-instances, they sell a service that they cap an important part of, on their own accord, without being clear about it from the get go.
When you buy SES, you get exactly what you are buying, as in the service description.

So everytime someone tells me something like “but but you can complement it with these other provider service” is just reminding me how I was blindsided by Vultr, how I am not getting what I paid for, and how that alone tell me they are not a company I will be workign with for long. in short, from my POV, they suck.

Maybe its about how I was raised, I’m someone that values people word, and that extends to companies being clear and honest with what they are selling. I value that over everything else, including money. So yeah… that reminds me that I need to delete my CC info from Vultr…

PS: My previous reply was in gest :wink:

I get what you mean. However, by the same token I think that when you use a service like that it kind of goes without saying that there are going to be caps or limits on email. That’s just the nature of the product and the way it’s abused for spam. The CAN-SPAM Act can get pretty harsh, so the providers definitely want to cover their asses.

When there’s a free service like SES that can be used to compliment the service and make email sending more reliable I don’t get why the extra few steps aren’t worth it. I would do the same thing with DO, or Linode, etc.

I would really try and step into the host’s shoes for a moment and realize the battles that budget services have with combating outbound spam on their networks and the real costs with that on their network. I would err on the side of caution as well. Just something to think about. I totally get where you’re coming from and I’d be mad too, but that’s why I also try and prevent it and go the couple extra steps and use something like SES to know what I’m getting and be sure that it’s not going to be blacklisted from a bad neighbor.

How exactly renting a cloud instance “says that” , it doesn’t, and its not a regular stance. Keep in mind that they do not limit SMTP, they block it all together.

that’s not the nature of the product, that a risk of being in that business, different things. The reason its a risk, is because the nature of the product is to enable people from using stuff, like SMTP.

And yeah, I get it that they wanna cover their asses, and I didn’t mind giving them all the info they requested, like company details that they can easily, and fast, check for accuracy.

Worth it? they are not, nor should they be expected.
Vultr, is not an Amazon company, so I should not - unless clearly stated before I give them my details - be expected to resort to any other company to complement a service that should not require such complement.
If on the other hand, Vultr had told me from the get go “hey, we don’t like SMTP so ya gotta use someone else for that”, then, that would be a different scenario as I would have been my choice to make.

That’s part of their business plan, not mines. It’s their responsibility to weight in if its a business they wanna be in, and what segments they wanna target.
It’s not that I don’t value their efforts, I do, and as I said, I’m happy to provide info to them, BUT, I’m not responsible for their risks, their business, or their past experiences.

not sure I follow your logic here. You use SES so you don’t get mad like I am in regards to Vultr?

Wanna know the worst part? it was when they told me to read this;
If you would like to learn more about this policy please look at this URL:
https://www.vultr.com/legal/antispam_policy/

So basically, they accused me of being a spammer, so yeah, that rubbed me the wrong way.