Unable to Find Cause of Random CPU Spikes

Also check dmesg for any weird messages. I’ve experienced weird issues at work where one CPU core will softlock in kernel code (watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#21 stuck for 23s!), and whatever was supposed to be running on that core will just… freeze for a while. We have a kernel team at work and they haven’t been able to track down the problem yet.

I didn’t actually know about THP until now… Thanks for the info @WSS and @FHR.

Me neither. There’s not much of such issues in dmesg but I did find this:

[    0.700275] pmd_set_huge: Cannot satisfy [mem 0x80000000-0x80200000] with a huge-page mapping due to MTRR override.

Have to read more.

The preferred method to disable Transparent HugePages is to add “transparent_hugepage=never” to the kernel boot line in the “/etc/grub.conf” file. The server must be rebooted for this to take effect. Alternatively you can add the command to your /etc/rc.local file.

If you’re using this information for your current employer, my fee is $5,000/hr. I spent about a week on this.

4 Likes

Yeah that can also be caused by THP actually. Of course RedHat knows about this issue:

Possible, but when it’s always the same CPU, it’s probably not.

Hey,
Can I buy y’all a coffee or beer please?

I would like to request that you donate whatever you feel assistance was worth to Miguels’ rescue fund, please. Obviously, I speak only for myself.

3 Likes

Yup, had already commented on that post before posting here. I haven’t read the full post so wasn’t aware if funds are still needed therefore asked before.

1 Like