Truenas scale, Portainer, And Pterodactyl an open discussion

What are you experiences with each; why do you prefer one over the other. And what are some things that new admins should think about when deciding what they want to use?

I’ll start first, I’m currently using a slight mix of Truenas scale and Portainer. I had an old desktop lying around that i wanted to convert into a homelab. Doing things like running game servers, plex centers and general FTP file backup was my main intention. I’ve been loving my truenas experience so far; yes it can be a little bit more limiting then say ubuntu server. But for my needs and what i want it runs perfectly; i can use docker/truecharts to expand the amount of apps i have. Use RCLONE for cloud storage backups to places like google drive. Which affords me to be more experimental with my server. But one of my personal favorute features is using btrfs and rsync to “snapshot” my minecrafts directory and have almost infinate hourly backups with little to no storage space cost. Some other stuff i do is set up iscsi targets for my personal pc to expand storage. Run minecraft servers with a single command, and even layer portainer on top of it to have a more service focused panel over the default one that truenas provides for me. I think that its a great option for people that are new to admining and want to get started in a user friendly way.

1 Like

It really does seem like people have run the furthest with Portainer, and the obvious benefit is that you’ve got this very significant community building easily deployed apps for it.

1 Like