Mechanical Keyboard Recommendations?

I’m well versed in mechanical keyboards and I already have one, but I’m specifically looking for a minimalistic 75%/80% one, either with red or brown switches.

Any recommendations? Ideally something on the cheaper end, but I’m fine either way.

Ducky One? I have no experience with that brand but they seem very solid and compact. Pretty expensive though, unfortunately.

Alternatively, you can opt to go for a Cooler Master (second hand). I’ve been rocking one for over half a decade and it’s absolutely solid (e.g. this one).

1 Like

Pardon my noobness, is the switch color anything other than aesthetic?

Cherry MX colors indicate noise level and how easy/hard it is to press … I myself prefer Topre switches :slight_smile:

2 Likes

3 Likes

I have a Redragon keyboard from Amazon and it has mostly been fine. I had to replace a few switches already (less than a year in), but I also tend to be pretty hard on keys.

1 Like

Redragon keyboards are actually surprisingly good for the price.

Yeah, my friend has a Quick Fire Rapid which is beautiful. I’m tempted to go for that :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I had a Corsair that was much more expensive previously and multiple keys, including the spacebar, started double pressing every time I pressed them within 6 months, and I don’t think they were replaceable.

Not really a fan of logitech products, BUT my G610 orion brown I’d buy again in an instant. No need though because it’s going strong for over two years now - recommended!

1 Like

Nice! Unfortunately though, it’s a 100% keyboard rather than a < 80% :stuck_out_tongue:

True. Sorry, I totally missed that part :man_facepalming:t2:

Using a 60% cherry red switch :stuck_out_tongue:
Had play with blue and linear. My final answer is 60% red.

if I’d be looking for a small TKL one and don’t want to spend a fortune, I’d probably look into the drevo excalibur. full metal, different switches available. Excalibur | DREVO :: Game With Cool Tech. - 北京繁石简作科技有限公司

1 Like

I run a Ducky Shine 4. It’s lasted me for a looong time so far and I abuse the hell out of it, only cleaned it two or three times.

If you want to go crazy on prices and customization, /r/MechanicalKeyboards will help you out. I would avoid “top lists” or Amazon best sellers and go with a “cheap” option recommended by /r/MechanicalKeyboards.

That’s a 100% unfortunately.

I’ve been subbed to there for years :stuck_out_tongue: I just wondered whether anyone here might have any specific recommendations haha.

I think that tech guy, did a few good reviews, besides all that hidden advertisement shit.

Just Youtube a bit.

I’ve watched Linus religiously for years. Again, I was just looking for specific recommendations from some of you guys :slight_smile:

Just curious, 80 % as in size, right? Why?
Cramped space? Small hands? :slight_smile:
I have rather large hands, thick fingers, would prefer full size. :sweat_smile:
(Wonder if happy hacking keyboards were smaller? I liked those.) :thinking:

I just like the smaller size, personally. I have absolutely no need for a number pad, and I like the additional portability factor. Yeah HHKB’s are 60% :slight_smile:

After an awful lot of research, I’ve decided to go with the Lily58 Pro which is a split ortho-layout 60% keyboard.

Reddit user’s build:

The only frustrating thing is that no one in the UK sells it. Thankfully though, after speaking with Mechboards UK, it looks like they’ll be supplying it within the next month or so :smiley: So I shall wait for that.

2 Likes