Lifetime/One-time Deals Worth Considering

Well, who would say no to a lifetime GDrive :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This one doesn’t look too bad either: Ultimate Membership Pro - WordPress Membership Plugin by azzaroco | CodeCanyon

24$

https://www.prometeus.net seem to provide seafile storage, out of stock though, no harm opening a ticket i think.

3 Likes

https://livecanvas.com/ for WordPress looks pretty cool. 47$/year, 119$ lifetime. On sale. Appears to be a fairly new project though. Proceed with caution.

How much did that degree cost you?

1 Like

around 23000 usd
edit: if without funding, then 66500

1 Like

so 23,000 / 12 = 1916 months of G Suite Business (unlimited Storage) which is over 159 YEARS of G Suite if you have paid it.
Idk, it doesn’t sound a good deal to me. Plus you don’t get admin access

1 Like

Google’s life will more than 159years and I will pass it to my son( if I have).

Life time means the company’s life not my life right? :thinking::joy:

1 Like

Whoever deadpool’s first. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I’m personally hoping for Google. Elliot isn’t actually evil or trying to sway/force his vendetta.

Start here:

1 Like

This post from Kinsta is very interesting if you consider all WordPress Themes/Plugins actually must be licensed under GPL. WordPress and GPL - Everything You Need to Know

There are sites like wpstarterpack or plugintheme (removed links so people read before they click) that sure look shady offering access to hundreds of Premium WP themes/plugins for a yearly fee of 50 bucks, or sometimes even LTD deals.

What do you not get? License keys for any of the downloadable products. The assurance that the files have not been modified (so you should at least scan before using). No automatic updates.

However, you will actually get updates provided by the respective sites where you bought such deal. They manually update the plugin (e.g. Updraft Plus) with their Unlimited license and upload the updated plugin which they claim to have every right to, it being released under GPL.
For now I’ll recommend anyone to stay away though until you’ve read more about it.

I don’t think I’ll give it a try too soon, but I’ll read a bit more into it. The fact that plugins should be released under GPL and the only things that devs can legally charge for is updates and support (which can be manually provided by such deal sites) is a whole different take on things. Even if you don’t buy from any of these shady looking sites, you are more free to use legally purchased WP plugins for your clients. Some, like Divi and Updraft Plus are actually released under GPL (even according to their official website). Though, questions like “is only php code for WP to be forced under GPL; what about js/css code” are obviously suggesting that it isn’t all that white collar. What’s more themes and graphics are probably a whole different story.

1 Like

I’ve updated this to link to the proper termonology - Shovelware.

2 Likes

I knew it reminded me of some retro stuff.

1 Like

And again, I realize I am old. Thank you @WSS

1 Like

Ivacy VPN Lifetime is currently available for 16$ on Stacksocial :slight_smile:
If you were looking to get a VPN service, now’s the time.

Code: CMSAVE60

5 Likes

thanks again :smile:

1 Like

You’re welcome :slight_smile: Didn’t realize you were also on HB :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve seen a few discussions about this.
The TLDR is this.

• The license makes it so you have to provide the plugin for free, being able to charge for support.

• Developers complain that it’s their work.

• The reply is that their whole business is based on a free product (wordpress) that the vast majority doesn’t even bother to contribute to, its the product terms, and as such, they shouldn’t complain.

• It’s legal to provide the plugins to other people (like the sites you referred to do)

3 Likes

Have you used such site yet? What has been your experience? To me it seems like there’s just nobody bothering enough to go to court because the situation is - like you described - not black/white win for any side.