How Do You Guys Manage/Get Your Music?

I disabled the app a few months ago, I’m waiting for Google to merge it with YouTube Music and for them to add the same features. Soon I hope =]

2 Likes

Here’s to hoping it’s soon! YouTube Music has been a fantastic compliment to my music collection. Its playlists are almost on-par with Spotify’s discover playlists, which is great for me.

2 Likes

I was really happy with my free month of YouTube Music. Only problem I had was that the xbox app couldn’t be played in the background of a game. But when the free version has the features of it’s predecessor I’ll be happy again :smiley:

1 Like

I use GPM unlimited in India.
Quite happy with all the time I save, for the equivalent of $1.43/mo.

Last week, it gave me access to a Youtube Music subscription too. (Though I prefer to ‘save’ albums and RadioStations offline in GPM, than waste bandwidth on music videos)

1 Like

I used to download FLACs to carefully loudnorm at -14 LUFS (sweet spot for puny headphones) and then carefully convert in .aac first and .opus later to eventually feed my mpd with even more data (ncmpc and M.A.L.P.); I’ve briefly turned to funkwhale.audio too, and I once threw nextcloud in the mix as well

Now I’m back enjoying the sound of whirring fans; sometimes I just listen at something on youtube with my “wannabe audiophile” headphones and call it a day

I’m not a FLAC/mp3 collector any more, I’ve long past my thirties and I already have hoarded too much music (probably enough for several lifetimes)
Also my tastes in music seem against current trends, so I’ve no reasons to harvest even more bits; and I’m grumpy enough to frown upon an automatic selection proposed me by some AI. I never appreciated services like Spotify or Deezer (or Youtube suggestions), and I’ve never been audiophile enough to pick Tidal I guess

Yet if I were a teen or in my early twenties today, I’d just use some streaming service and ditch any crazy hoarding, unless it’s some extra-rare stuff or unless I had to seriously save on my mobile bw

TL;DR: Yes

3 Likes

Alt response: FTP.CDROM.COM.

mikmod

I use Usenet and an IRC channel. If there’s something specific I want, like a single song, YTDL is perfect. Also I just discovered SpotifyDownload to download playlists, like your Discover Weekly feed.

1 Like

YouTube audio quality :woozy_face:

3 Likes

Seems like sourcehut deleted it. Alternative: cairn/Redtopia - Redtopia - git.fuwafuwa.moe

after what.cd died, I’ve been using Spotify! Worth it just for the Discover Weekly

I tried Google Music for a few months, but it kept converting all my uploaded songs to clean versions :expressionless:

That is certainly an unfortunate downside. Mind you, I’ve only had to do that with around 50 tracks (out of 30,000) and it only takes a couple of seconds. Alternatively, you could always use something like Madsonic (self-hosted). Additionally, I’ve found YouTube Music’s curated playlists to be pretty decent (almost on-part with Spotify in some respects). I’m looking forward to Google dropping GPM in favour of YTM :slight_smile:

Just saw that Amazon Music Unlimited is 6 months free for students now so I might just grab that one for a while.

It’s okay…admittedly I haven’t personally owned it, but I’ve used it enough through other people. I couldn’t find about 10% of what I would search for and there were a few somewhat minor issues that I encountered (though that may just have been due to needing to change a setting).

1 Like

Tbh still hesitant as last time I tried it I just didn’t like it so mich UI wise. Too used to Spotify or just playing my music trom Pulsar.

1 Like

*clears throat*

FUCK BEZOS!

1 Like

Not a Amazon fan I take.

You have no idea how much I detest that sack of shit. Few do. He’s like my personal Zuckerberg.

1 Like

Care to expand on your reasoning?

Not really. I’ve moved on, but I still detest the man and hope he eventually loses what his wife doesn’t take.

Hard to top a 50% HP critical hit in the real world.

Anyone have any amazon sisters they haven’t offered to cociu?