Help Me Choose the Right Laptop for University

Yeah they come with different models of keyboards, some are backlit some are not.

Aah, gotcha. It does look hard to come by nowadays. Seems like there’s a ton of different models that do or do not come with MX150 and other stuff. Normally I’d recommend to just order at Amazon or something, but yeah… keyboard layout. I’d stay away from the Yoga. As much fun as they sound (and they sure are in the beginning!), they wear quickly and they simply don’t feel to be worth the money.

I see that Lenovo has recently announced the successor of the 530s, the s540. For some reason, though, the model targeting the Polish market only comes with 8 GB memory and 256 GB NVMe. That’s about half of the specs compared to other markets…

Anyhow, how about the 330s? Seems to be available for slightly under 910$ here: https://www.x-kom.pl/p/476415-notebook-laptop-141-lenovo-ideapad-330s-14-i7-8550u-12gb-256-win10-m540-szary.html. It is however 14 inch and only 256 GB of storage.

The 330 can also be yours for $ 845: https://www.x-kom.pl/p/469767-notebook-laptop-156-lenovo-ideapad-330-15-i7-8550u-20gb-480-m530.html. Comes with a whopping 20 GB of RAM, and 480 GB of SSD storage.

2 Likes

Thanks for the links. The 330 availability is indeed pretty good. However from the reviews 530s has a mediocre, if not weak screen. I can’t imagine how bad is the screen in 330.

Thanks for the info on Yoga build quality. If the ThinkPad seller confirms that the listed E580 has backlight keyboard I’ll probably buy it.

3 Likes

Update: Are you sure that you are looking at E580 not T580?

Yep. I have E480 which is backlit as well, the E580 is exactly the same machine but with a larger screen. Checked Lenovo’s site (CZ version, should be same everywhere) and it does mention backlight as well.

It’s a configurable option and doesn’t come on all models though, costs a bit more.

1 Like

Any specific reason you have not to go with a Ryzen laptop?

None. I just havent found any with Ryzen CPU. But don’t you think a laptop with Ryzen will have slightly worse battery life? Every minute counts :confused:

Probably better? You want dedicated graphics (I assume?) but IIRC the main Ryzen + Integrated Vega package is like 15W, or maybe that’s just the CPU. I don’t look at laptops much, and I know earlier Ryzen laptops had some issues but I think they are pretty solid now, and I’d expect more performant.

From the top of my head, without dedicated GPU there’s the Huawei MateBook D and with dedicated GPU there’s the Acer Nitro 5 (this has a bit of a “gamer” aesthetic though…). Specifically I heard great things about the MateBook D Huawei MateBook D | TechRadar

1 Like

Huawei has recently discontinued their laptop lineup, so I don’t see any future drivers updates down the road, think I’ll pass on MateBooks.

Driver updates from an OEM? I’m curious if you need any in the first place :stuck_out_tongue:

Without Huawei pushing the manufacturer to fix their shit? I don’t see that coming. That’s a part of ThinkPads’ advantages (…and price). Lenovo for their ThinkPads always chooses subcontractors that are capable of fixing their stuff in the future.

1 Like

I had a similar older Asus laptop before, if you can test them at stores physically, see if you like the screen. Brightness seems to be dimmer than some, specially for outdoor use (not sure with the newer versions). But they are great for overall use. The disks can be upgraded as far as I can remember. I had a 15" though and added an M.2 stick instead. Also, I think there was another RAM slot. Built wise, they are solid and the < 15" are very light. They don’t get hot much compared to an XPS.

The Ideapad 700 Series are nice alternatives though without dedicated GPU.

1 Like

Unfortunately the seller said that the E580 has no backlight and I can’t really find one with the backlight. I may buy the Yoga tomorrow, unless you convince me not to do so, but it really appeals to me :sweat_smile:

Edit: Annnd… I bought it. Expecting to have it shipped tomorrow, so chances are I’ll see it on Wednesday.

1 Like

So I got the Yoga and the touchscreen is not working :rofl: Prem. I’ll see if the seller can replace the laptop or at least the digitizer. Otherwise I’m returning it.

Wanna swap? My trackpad doesn’t work but the screen does.

Think I’ll pass :joy:

1 Like

So… Two days ago I finally received my laptop. The shop also sent me a box of chocolates as a “sorry for being late” gift. I decided to go with Legion Y530 as it had the best screen (IPS) compared to other laptops I considered (most had a TN panel, including the ZenBook which presumably was a “premium” laptop - i lol’ed). The screen can get really bright so I should have no problems using it outside. I was also positively surprised by the build quality I was expecting it to be much worse considering the body is made out of plastic. I’m a bit worried about the keyboard top cover as it’s rubberized. It’s pleasing to touch, but I’m worried that it may eventually wore out. Some people who had the Y530 for over a year say that nothing like that happens, but I dunno about the long term.

As a wrap up - thank you all for helping me in this thread! :heart:
Tomorrow I’ll post some pictures with HB stickers on it :smiley:
arch

5 Likes

Only just seen this topic!

Hope the laptop works out.

In terms of Lenovo I’ve got a B590 (i3, now running 8gb + SSD) and it’s brilliant. The previous firm I worked we did a lot of site work (which requred the laptop to be used, programming logic controllers, etc) in oily/dusty environments and its taken a bit of a beating (including a beer spillage) and has been flawless.

The value for money it’s given, even with the upgrades, has been brilliant as it was a cheap laptop when new.

2 Likes

So… Here it is. The pictures were taken in semi-cloudy day, but even in the direct sun light the screen is visible enough. My phone’s camera quality is quite poor and the screen totally wasn’t captured the way it looks, so I guess the next coming thread is going to be “Help me choose the right phone for university” :joy:

I’m starting to love Arch as their user repository is simply great. So far I compiled over 21 programs with just one problem that was already well explained in the comment sections.

Today I also realized that my i5-8300H has hyper threading, so I have 8 threads in total. What a nice surprise :smiley:

Also tagging @Hetzner_OL and @Mason, so they can see that I put the stickers in good use :smiley:

I even managed to get the login avatar to be animated :smiley:

If anyone is interested how I managed to get KDE look like that I can record a short video showing all my settings.
@Wolveix can you somehow get the video to show in the thread instead of a link? Nevermind, it fixed itself xD

7 Likes

Beautiful! Enjoy your new toy! :slight_smile:

2 Likes