Has anyone flashed custom ROMs on Android phones before?

So here’s the thing,
I am currently using a Redmi Note 10 Pro as my main phone and everything’s totally fine. However, I also still use my Redmi Note 8 Pro as a backup phone, and while it is one of the most amazing (budget) phones I have ever owned in terms of hardware specs/value, it is (in typical Redmi tradition) way past OS updates. Now, I was wondering to flush a custom ROM on it to get back security updates and see where that takes me. Having never done that before, I heard good things about GrapheneOS, LineageOS (was/is it still a thing?), and ArrowOS.

Has anyone here done this sort of thing before? Any recommendations on a custom ROM that is easy to get started with? Any best-practices?

2 Likes

I had great success eith LineageOS in the past :slight_smile: Xiaomi phones are a little annoying, as there’s a week+ timer to unlock the bootloader. If you haven’t already looked into this, it’s a good place to start!

3 Likes

It seems like Redmi Note 8 Pro isn’t supported by LineageOS. Only Note 8. Too bad that only specific models are supported :confused:

3 Likes

I’ve done it quite a few times. It was great 8 years ago, not so much today if you use any Pay feature, banking apps or Netflix.
Due to play integrity and widevine you’ll be in a rabbit whole trying to get stuff to work. (might not be such a hassle if you don’t plan on rooting, not sure)

4 Likes

That’s another thing to consider indeed. Right now, on my backup phone, I still have some banking apps setup and installed. I also didn’t deactivate/delete them yet, because I read somewhere that while Android/MiUI updates aren’t rolling out for my account Note 8 Pro anymore, Google Play Protect still gets updated with security patches, and MiUI’s built-in Avast Scanner, which scans any new app additionally to Play Protect, does get updates too.
Given it’s a backup phone, I don’t install much stuff anyway.

E.g. also this Is it safe to use your phone after it stops getting security updates? | Android Central

3 Likes

Things in the Android ROM space hasn’t been the same since CyanogenMod went bust. Lineage and PixelExperience were the “recommended” ones a few years ago when I tried to install one on an Asus Zenphone that had some hardware issues.

Then there’s always the option of using whatever is available from individual modders on XDA if you have the time and skills to vet their code/build. I don’t, but this may be the only option for devices without a ROM from a reputable group.

Pavin.

3 Likes

I still find it very worth to do on old tablets to then attach them to walls and have them as dashboards and controls for the home, but that’s mostly all. I also root them though, so I have full access, and control them via wireless adb.

Also recently did the same with a firestick sheldon, running lineageOS with android TV, making it feel like a better chromecast with google tv. ROM here.

3 Likes

I’d just add that you should make sure you know about Project Treble (GSI ROMs), if you don’t already.
You may not need a ROM which is specific to your device.
GSIs are more generic and should run on any device which has the necessary split between the base system (hardware drivers) and the application layer.
From a quick look it seems that your device should be compatible with those.

4 Likes

Learned something new today, Project Treble and Generic System Image (GSI) ROMs were a completely new concept for me.

Would be great if you could answer a few questions:

1. Does the Google GSI have auto updates, for example monthly security updates or do I need to flash a new ROM every month?
  2. Would everything (BT, NFC, Fingerprint, camera) work? I found from this post some of the features are not working with some GSI images. I get that Treble relegates hardware code to the lowest layer but could some of the higher level functions be added by the manufacturer directly to the OS layer?

Pavin.

3 Likes

Sorry, but I don’t know that much about it.

I intend to install GSI ROMs on devices I have as they’re not common ones, but I haven’t even got that far yet.

2 Likes

No problem, would be nice if you could update us how it went in the future.
My phone has 2 more years of security updates left, otherwise I’d give it a try myself :slight_smile:

Pavin.

As a kid, I used to flash custom ROMs on Xperia X8 - it was pretty fun toying around with the phone trying to get newer Androids with more functions.

But on newer phones, manufacturers no longer like this and they impose some locks - ex. bootloader lock - it wil just not boot a custom recovery/ROM.

XDA Developers is your best reource when it comes to this.

1 Like