Fiber Reach in Your Country

How the fiber reach in your country?
I was just reading that in Portugak fiber and free wi-fi is reaching historical villages. And by that I mean villages with just “a few souls”.
Here’s some of the Portuguese villages that now have ultra fast internet.

Almeida Village

Belmont Village

Castle Mendo

New Castle

Castle Rodrigo

Idanha-a-Velha
Linhares da Beira

Marialva

Monsanto

Piódão

Sortelha
Trancoso

8 Likes

Portugal makes good use of EU funds

Unlike Spain, Italy, Greece.

:+1:

2 Likes

I want to believe that… but Is still remember the time that the EU asked Portugal to explain where the $$$ had been spend and our government replied with “We don’t know”. So… idk man… idk…

1 Like

that was then, now is now

they improved, believe me

2 Likes

We have Fibre to the cabinet here in West Yorkshire - from what I gather though speaking to people a mile further out of the village they can’t get it, and satellite/4g broadband is a better option.

2 Likes

About 1 / 6th of the population has access to fibre here. Most of us have access to (pair bonded) VDSL2 with speeds up to 240 / 60 Mbps or cable internet with speeds up to 500 / 40 Mbps.

2 Likes

US has ~25% fiber coverage (population, not geographic).

I have “1g fiber” at my place, but realistically I get ~200-250Mbps to most places

(taken from my cell over WiFi)

3 Likes

Here in Germany it’s kinda solid in big cities. I get like 500/25 Mbit/s and could get like 1000/50 if I wanted. On the countryside and in small villages or even some other bigger cities that’s a different story though.

2 Likes

Judging from the above map, it looks like Fiber in Arco, Idaho - if anyone wants to live in the first nuclear powered city in the US.

I was laughing at only Reno/Vegas in Nevada, and then I saw South Dakota.

IT’S ONLY COPPER UP DERE.

2 Likes

UK isn’t great… FTTC is pretty common. I get 80/20 pretty much the whole time, I am quite close to the cabinet though. No cable in my area, however, I hope FTTP will come to the house. Funnily enough when I was more rural ADSL was much faster (pre-FTTC days). I think we have some fairly aggressive targets for high speed internet, but time will tell.

2 Likes

Mine is an 80/20 package, but apparently the line can only handle 60/20 apparently.

1 Like

Yep, I have 80/20 as well. Virgin started lining our road with their infrastructure (which gives up to 300/20, but confirmed 200/20), but then stopped halfway (2 houses before us…). They said they would finish the road next year :joy:

2 Likes

100% urban coverage in Doha, Qatar - 88% overall which the world’s highest rate, matched only by Singapore.

Free upgrades from 10Mbps → 50Mbps → 100Mbps → 500Mbps as time went on since they migrated everyone from copper to fiber - but that just tells you how much we were overpaying in the days of copper.

The highest speed offered is 10Gbps.

The plans are: 50Mbps (82.40 USD) - 150Mbps (109.86 USD) - 500Mbps (151.06 USD) - 1Gbps (411.98 USD) - 10Gbps (1895.09 USD)

I’m on the 500Mbps plan.

These aren’t symmetrical. Upload speeds are half the download speed.
So uploads are: 25 - 75 - 250 - 500 - 5000

Pricing is pretty dumb.

Commercial 5G is also deployed with pretty good coverage but meh.

3 Likes

FTTH here…

This is at home. Got 1000/200Mbps in the office.

1 Like

I don’t have fibre at my apartment, but I can get 1000 Mb/s over cable (coaxial) though. 150 Mb/s is sufficient for me, so that’s what I’ve got. Upload speed on that is quite slow though (4 Mb/s I think?)

Much better than what I had in Australia - my unit in Australia could only get DSL, around 10 Mb/s max (out of a theoretical 24 Mb/s max speed).

1 Like

Vodafone?

E: very scarce do for residential usage even in the single city we have.

2 Likes

yeah

2 Likes

We have a lot of smaller ISPs here in CZ - literally hundreds, maybe more. Quite a few of them do wireless, which is actually really popular since it can do hundred megs or so with cheap equipment and low monthly prices. Tech used is 5GHz and they’re starting to explore 60GHz as well for even faster speeds. Few ISPs also do FTTH deployment, but that’s much harder to pull off. Mounting some Ubiquiti/Mikrotik gear on antenna masts is much cheaper than digging trenches, burying cables and getting various permits…

The largest country-wide last mile network (which reaches like 90%+ of population) is owned by a neutral company, which basically resells it to everyone who wants to be an ISP - both big and small guys. They mostly do FTTC (250/25Mbps over xDSL/v.35b/G.fast) now, but few places have FTTH as well (up to symmetric gigabit).

4 Likes

Singapore, Fibre is installed to every building by a government organisation, commercial or private.

ADSL has not existed here for years Telephone & TV via VOIP / Network, standard 1Gbps for around 50USD, option for 2Gbps / 10Gbps for not alot more.

Pretty good international connectivity/speeds as plenty of undersea cables land @ Singapore from multiple carriers.

3 Likes

here, we had Fiber but the download/upload ratio usually 1:5, except new comer with very limited coverage.
I got lucky my home go covered

100 Mbps/100 Mbps : $35/month

2 Likes