Debian 10 "Buster" Stable Release

Debian 10, codenamed “Buster” , has officially been released!

Installation images can be found at:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/

Upgrade from existing Debian 9 by:
Changing “stretch” references in /etc/apt/sources.list to “buster”. Then performing an apt {update|upgrade|dist-upgrade}.

P.S. did you know Debian release codenames are derived from the Toy Story movies? (I just learned this today :slight_smile:)

7 Likes

Great… now another 2 years for Devuan to catch up.

P.P.S. Water is wet.

2 Likes

That’s cool.

So, are you peeps instant upgraders, or do you like to wait a month or two?

1 Like

Alas but water is wet merely when one is dry. But if one was already wet, then water just is.

P.P.P.S. debian, thx

3 Likes

3 Likes

Most of my production servers are running Debian “testing”, so I’ve already been running the Buster bits for a while. All seems to be working fine. Packages are only migrated from unstable to testing if they’ve gone 10 days with no severe bugs, so it’s actually quite stable. The software versions in srable Debian releases are generally too old for my liking.

Actually, the way I found out about the Buster release was that an apt update warned me thay the codename of ‘testing’ changed from Buster to Bullseye :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Debian is awesome.

My MX updater (MX linux) just gave a notice of “1904 files to be updated”.

All is updated swiftly from cdn-aws.deb.debian.org , after updating all is flying now again.

Coming from Gentoo and Slackware, I can appreciate these smooth updates even more.

4 Likes

I’ve never used Gentoo nor Slackware, but some distros don’t support in-place upgrades. I remember CentOS didn’t used to officially support it, so the upgrade process was basically “reinstall and restore your data from backup”. On the other hand, it’s so smooth in Debian! I have systems that have gone through several Debian releases over many many years, without any issues.

2 Likes

I miss slackware :rofl: I’ve been Debian and Ubuntu for a few years now though.

The in place upgrades are great unless something like Apache changes in a big way then it can take some time to get configs right again

3 Likes

It still doesn’t support it as far as I know, although Fedora does it and I have done it a couple of times without a hitch.

2 Likes

2 Likes