CRTC to Enforce Web Host Compliance with Anti-Spam Rules

Canada’s broadcasting regulator sees web hosting providers as critical in safeguarding national cybersecurity.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has notified the web hosting service industry that it will be enforcing compliance with Canada’s anti-spam legislation (CASL) in the country’s web hosting space.

Web hosting providers are being targeted because data shows that Canadian web hosting infrastructure is being used to distribute malware. The regulator views fighting spam at the network infrastructure level as critical to protecting Canada’s internet security.

While hosting providers may not be directly aware of violations to the anti-spam rules committed by their clients, they are uniquely positioned to detect, prevent, and stop spammers on their networks.

Legal liability and due diligence

Under Canada’s anti-spam legislation, a web host could be found liable for distributing spam by (knowingly or unknowingly) aiding spammers in delivering unsolicited emails or installing malware — even though the web host may not be directly responsible for the spam.

Web hosting providers have a legal obligation to follow the rules. This means you cannot behave in any way that aids, induces, procures or causes to be procured acts prohibited by sections 6 to 8 of Canada’s anti-spam legislation.

You can avoid liability through due diligence, including prevention strategies and other safeguards aimed at eliminating or reducing your potential role in helping spammers. The CRTC recommends developing and implementing a written compliance program that includes safeguards to prevent, detect, and respond to compliance issues discovered internally or via external alerts.

Once you become aware of infected infrastructure, compliance depends on swift remediation. This includes both an incident-handling plan and an appropriately resourced incident response team.

Read the full CRTC advisory for web hosts for more information, and links to content that outlines compliance best practices.

Yes yes the best government ever I love Justin Trudeau for legalizing pot and turning toronto into a crackhouse

Side note: I’m still pissed that I can’t fly a drone over 250g without a stupid license. I don’t want to register but I also don’t want to pay a $1000 fine…

Edit: does that mean that AlphaRacks can be fined for spamvertising their perpetual sales?

2 Likes

Bring back Rob Ford!!!

1 Like

Ugh, don’t tell me about legalizing the pot…

You have no idea how many people I run into in the morning smell like rotten fishes.

Before the laws, about 2 out 10 smelled like rotten fishes. Now it’s 5 out of 10 now. The whole nation is on weed.

3 Likes

He has plenty to eat in his eternal home.

They did a nice job skating around saying “Kimsufi did it.”

1 Like

I’ve seen a surprising amount of Canadian hosts on WHT and elsewhere claiming to be DMCA-free or “offshore”. Guess they never enforced their rules, so hosts took advantage of the situation.

The TTC smells like a weed farm.

Literally.

Edit: I don’t want to criticize a dead guy, but boy was ford nation stupid. I lost an unquantifiable amount of IQ watching his rallies.

Well, Canada has a lot of laws that aren’t enforced. Government makes rules but nobody cares.

Seems like you are talking about Argentina.

Sadly, my knowledge in Argentina is limited.

All I know about Argentina is …

1. Diego Maradona the hand of God
  2. Lionel Messi
1 Like

Football i/ soccer s quite “funny” down here.

We as a poor country have lots of kids with the illusion of ever being one of those you mentioned so education most of the times becomes non prio.

Quite sad.

It’s Football. Whoever started calling it soccer should have his balls removed.

Anyway, I hear all South American nations share a similar issue. Kids dreaming of becoming a pro footballer in Europe. Can’t blame’em though.

3 Likes

Exact
Thing is despite sports per se are obviously a good thing education is close to none (lots of strikes etc) so you have lots of them with that dream.

To be fair, choosing become a footballer is more … entertaining for kids than sitting still reading books.

I wager becoming a successful footballer in Europe is a lot harder than becoming a successful white collar worker but payout is obviously better.

It’s like playing lottery. People cling to high paying lotteries despite having far lower odds of hitting the jackpot.

2 Likes

I get what you portray but if education was not just reading books or spooking kids with maths while making them curious about whatever they like

There are a lot of people down here that make some statements like : “hey it’s natural and it’s a herb. There are even studies that say it’s good” .

We have a plague of weed too