Crowdfunding to Help a Dog We Just Got

You’re very welcome! I’m glad I can help save a dog’s life.

Have fun! (to both you and Gucci)

2 Likes

Will do so mate! Yeah we are using APAMG’s Vet, its much cheaper. No vaccines for 4 years is a mess. She never had a bad either. There is no chip. At least no documentation that links to it. The vet will let us know Monday/Thursday the total amount for the chip and vaccines. We will need to arrange this very carefully. The vet will need to come here, put her asleep and give the vaccines, chip, etc.

1 Like

Definitely will. You guys are helping her a lot.

Guys keep in mind that for full transparency, all expenses will be scanned and posted here.

1 Like

We scheduled an appointment tomorrow or monday with the dog coach. He needs to evaluate her and see what we should do in terms of her behaviour. He said that if this is a defensive attitude for being afraid then its easy to take care of. Lets hope for the best.

For the curious, we feed her with Steve’s food, 10-25kg, she isnt fat right now, weights 21kg. Food is Royal Canin Medium, we buy all food and do not include it on donations. Not necessary as I buy the large 18kg bags.

The ex owner said that according to the vet, she was put a chip when she was sterilized. Thats a good thing. Vaccines in the other hand… Only 1. Plenty of vaccines left, an interior/exterior desparasitation etc.

1 Like

I don’t know how rural your area of Portugal is, but here in the US, we have “Farm and Ranch” stores outside of the large cities where you can buy horse tack, and a whole bunch of other things. You can buy the injections and actually get vet-grade advice at the better ones here. The dogs got their rabies and parasite shots for like $7 last year.

1 Like

We dont have that here nor you can buy such thing if you are not a vet. Furthermore, she needs to be put asleep so they can give her the vaccines and such. She is very aggressive. Only a professional can do that.
I suspect she is just defensive and not a bad dog. The dog coach will let us know tomorrow/monday and we will see what we can do. I am getting her ID Card soon to get the quote from her current vet that did the sterilization but I will also get a quote from a vet that is near to me, since they also need to come here and do it onsite… Not ideal but it has to be done that way for now. She came to our shelter yesterday so its been only a day, its too early to come to a conclusion. Even their ex owners are afraid of her, I suspect there is a reason for her aggressivity.
We are anxiously waiting for the dog coach to handle her attitude, help us to.

I have asked the ex owners, the guy that took care of her in her early days to come here so I can clean the cage. She wont even let me open the cage.

She whines when you leave, but attacks the cage when you try to open it, right?

That’s a damaged, possibly highly abused dog. It’s going to take small steps, and lots of time.

1 Like

Yeah… Thats what happens. Can you tell me more about it please? I feel thats the case here. Not sure what to do nor I am an experienced guy in such cases.

Well, she’s very scared, and also scared of you.

Without setting yourself up to be a beta, I’d put a seat nearby the cage - well within her view, from the end she doesn’t stay by. Slowly, I’d move the chair closer, and talk to her at quiet tones- we’re talking over a few days, not a few hours. You also can’t just get up every 5 minutes and return every few hours - she’s got abandonment issues.

Consider some soft music, and if you have it, a good old ticking clock might help break up the monotony and fear- it works great for puppies, and smaller fearful dogs. Just make sure the alarm is off.

3 Likes

Now, keep in mind I am just the owner of damaged dogs; I’m not trained- just versed in what I’ve learned. I’ll be happy to give advice, but this dog needs your full commitment.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I am doing quite a bit of that already but it looks like I need to spend more time with her. I have been feeding her some cookies etc out of the cage, it has been working I guess. She whines a lot when I leave her. I am also trying to have her meet Sara and Bruno, a friend of ours that lives with us. I will let them know your thoughts and spend more time with her.

I usually sit next to the case and speak to her in a soft tone, she shakes her tail a bit, that usually means she is enjoying.

A dog coach told me I shall feed her a lot as I can coquer her using food. Its a tough situation but man this is our goal right now. Gucci will be a very happy dog with us.

3 Likes

If you have contract work that you can do on the laptop, and not run really loud music/skype/etc, I’d consider making it a daily ritual to do some work beside her. It can become “your” time, and she’ll eventually look forward to it.

The best way to help her feel more secure is to be slow, and get her into a routine. Bitches love routines.

2 Likes

No job for now, yet. But as you know I have always worked remotely so I can bring my laptop next to her and spend time with her. Decent, quality time. :slight_smile:
Keep giving us advice, that helps a bunch.

1 Like

Small progress tonight, I think!

I was with her for half an hour, she was aggressive when I was adjusting the plate for her food, then she calmed down, fell asleep, deeply. I think that means something. Perhaps a very small, slight signal that she doesn’t feel threatened by me, even for a few minutes. It did fill my heart entirely hearing her breathing deep and falling asleep next to me. Not too close but not hidden. If she was feeling threatened she wouldnt fall asleep. So I stood there for some time then when I was leaving she woke up, looked at me, and I told her very softly that she had to sleep and that I would be with her tomorrow. She then peacefully put her head down and kept sleeping. I left, not making any noise walking and told her that we will take care of her. I hope she sleeps tight, I hope this Princess has an excellent night.

3 Likes

Sweet dreams, pupper :zzz:

3 Likes

Sweet dreams! :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

Woke up today with her whining a lot haha! She had to see me… When I got next to her, this is what happened…

Gucci fell asleep :heart:

3 Likes

Oh you asked for more pics.

2 Likes

Gucci met my mother. My mother is a badass. She loved her. Shaking her tail all the time, hell yeah, love Gucci!!!
She ate and drank water, resting now… Small progress I noticed today, she is getting closer to us shaking her tail. We need to have the dog coach here asap as I need to clean the cage. Hell, she poops a lot!!! :grin:

1 Like

She’s your dog, allright.

3 Likes