Calling All Home Server Owners -- What Do You Use Your Servers For?

Damn ahah, what’s that one labeled as (Drive)?

1 Like

Covers my drive where I park my car :blush:

2 Likes

Quite a few things :slight_smile:

Including but not limited to:

• SABnzbd (For downloading legacy Linux ISO’s that are no longer seeded)
  • QEMU (Windows 10 box for when I’m abroad and don’t want to put stuff on my corporate laptop)
  • Plex (Currently serving about 8 TB of content, about to upgrade with an additional 8 - 10 TB)
  • FlexTV (for controlling Plex through my Google Home Mini)
  • Tautulli (Plex stats. Deprecated as I recently got Plex pass)
  • Bitwarden (Passwords… passwords everywhere)
  • Sonarr (To snatch Linux ISO’s I guess)
  • Radarr (To snatch other Linux ISO’s?)
  • Lidarr (To snatch other-other Linux ISO’s?)
  • Gitea (For freelance stuff)
  • Airsonic (Music streaming)
  • Jira (For freelance stuff)
  • OpenVPN server (because my ISP limits certain ITV streams to my local connection…)
  • Bazarr (Multi-language support for Linux distro’s)
  • Pihole (Crappy ads…)
  • Transmission (Linux ISO’s)
  • Samba (for easy transferring files at home)
  • Postfix (just a local relay to MXRoute. Used for backup mails and Gitea / Jira notifications only)
  • Firefly III (financing)
  • Heimdall (for when I’m lazy)
  • code-server For coding without having to setup a local dev environment (e.g. useful for when I’m only bringing my Chromebook)
  • Bookstack For taking notes / storing snippets / etc
  • Wallabag For saving web pages
  • Akaunting For business (freelance) accounting purposes
  • Jenkins (CI / CD all the things!)

I am currently using Pihole to route the service directly to my own IP while on VPN / at home. Else most of the incoming traffic is routed through a small VPS in Luxembourg (HAProxy). Some traffic is strictly going through Romania. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have a few more things running on a few VPS’s (some of which are to be moved to my homeserver, just CBA):

• Nextcloud (running at a (shared) 1 Gbps line because I used to have too much data to properly sync from home. Home connection was recently upgraded so I should be okay now). Calendar / Tasks / Contacts / Notes / Talk plugins enabled.
  • Tiny Tiny RSS For staying up to date
  • Dokuwiki
  • Invoice Ninja (for freelance stuff)
  • Alltube (for occasionally downloading music from YouTube)
  • Ansible (for CD and other common tasks)
  • Spotweb (for indexing Linux ISO’s)
  • NZBHydra (for indexing Linux ISO’s)
  • Jackett (for indexing Linux ISO’s)
  • Piwigo For managing my photos
  • LibreNMS For monitoring purposes

And then there’s smokeping and PHP Server Monitor to deal with network monitoring and a few VPN servers to keep my traffic safe while abroad / on public WiFi.

12 Likes

Quite the list!! Will look into the ones that I’m unfamiliar with.

And welcome to HostBalls! :smiley:

2 Likes

Welcome to HostBalls! I’ve either used or am currently using everything there. BitWarden has definitely been the best password management application that I’ve ever used.

I never used to use Plex for music because the implementation was garbage, however, it’s become significantly better across the past year or so. I ended up dropping Google Play Music in favour of it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hmm. Still using Airsonic here. Is your music library stored locally or via Google Drive? Curious how well Plex handles music that’s not local as I have 500GB+ of music, audiobooks, podcasts, etc.

1 Like

It works okay over GDrive, it’s just a bit slow if you want to skip songs. Even with my 35k songs, I ended up downloading everything locally to the server to improve non-cached playback. I’ve got 6TB of local storage on my server so it’s not really an issue.

If you download everything you listen to (to your listening device), it doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome the both of you!

Yeah, Plex Music used to be crap last time I tried it (which was a few years ago). It has come a long way and it’s currently working absolutely gorgeous, especially with the Plex Pass allowing me to sync to my phone.

@Mason I think one of the most annoying things for non-local music libraries was fixed just a few days ago in the latest release and that is that it is no longer attempting to detect loudness for remote music files. So performance should be improved, at least for initial indexing of your collection.

4 Likes

Welcome @Solaire !
Glad to see you around :slight_smile:

3 Likes

it’s called sarcasm… my stuff looks quite the opposite, haha

Damnit! Now I’ll never know!!

1 Like

Unraid <3

Lets me use Windows on my primary monitor and switch OSes on my secondary one. My second monitor is connected to a Unraid VM running macOS and Synergy so I can move my mouse over without unplugging my keyboard/mouse.

Was def. worth the license $$

3 Likes

3 Likes

Synergy looks cool. Do you have your second monitor hooked up to the unRAID-server with a VGA/HDMI cable, or have you solved that with something like a KVM switch?

Right now I’m trying to future-proof my setup by adding a second chassi for storage only. Looked at some of those U-NAS 8-bay cases, but I really like the Supermicro 721TQ chassi, and I think 4 more slots will be enough for my needs a few more years.

Did some research, and hopefully I ordered the correct parts to have it connected to the main chassi as a DAS. CSE-PTJBOD-CB2 is to get the power button/LED/fan working without a motherboard.

2 Likes

@Matsuri

I’m using GPU passthrough (monitor connected via/ DisplayPort).

I have two GPUs in my unRaid setup: one potato RX 460 for the system and a RX 570 8 GB allocated to my macOS VM.

(Keep in mind that you need a video output device for both your system and the VM)

4 Likes

Updated my post to include code-server, Bookstack, Wallabag, Akaunting and the move of Jenkins from a VPS to my homeserver. Also included links to the respective docker images (if I’m running the application in docker) or else the Github / homepage of the given project.

3 Likes

My low power, low noise, low heat small lab consists of the following hardware and runs your typical home server stuff (e.g. Windows 10 guest, plex, NFS/SMB “NAS”, grafana/influxdb/telegraf, LNMP stack for dokuwiki and kanboard, LNMP stack for Roundcube webmail client, sonarr/radarr/deluge, pi-hole x3 instances, etc). ODROID runs Ubuntu minimal, the rest run Proxmox.

• ODROID-XU3 Lite (8-core little-big Exynos 5422 ARM, 2GB, 16GB eMMC)
  • DATTO-1000 (4-core AMD GX-415GA, 8GB, 128GB SSD)
  • Gigabyte Brix (4-core AMD A8-5545M, 8GB, 256GB mSATA)
  • Lenovo M72e Tiny (4-core i5-4370T, 8GB, 120GB SSD, DVD-RW)
  • Intel NUC (4-core i3-5010U, 16GB, 120GB SSD)
  • HP Microserver Gen7 (2-core AMD N54L, 8GB, 2x8TB WD Reds, 2x3TB WD Reds, 1x60GB SSD, 16GB USB3.1 boot drive)
  • Mediasonic Probox (2x2TB HSGT, 2x3TB HSGT) connected via eSATA to HP Microserver Gen7
  • All the pairs of drives are in BTRFS RAID1 arrays with transparent filesystem compression and weekly scrubs
4 Likes

The other machines would have to be directly reachable for the guacd box (and not somewhere else behind a NAT)?

I’m looking for an alternative to TeamViewer for helping family members remotely (on their PC/Mac connected through some DSL/Cable/3G service) … Wondered if maybe https://www.dwservice.net/ would be an alternative …

Take a look at cloudberrys offering. It’s not got feature parity with TeamViewer yet, but it’s a promising start and it’s free :slight_smile:

Looks promising, but lacks client for macOS (and Linux), it seems … :thinking::slightly_smiling_face: