20+ VPS Providers Close Down

I just came across this article, looks like there’s a screenshot of LET in there. Is anyone here affected?

Edit: I just checked LET, looks like I’m late to this news :sweat_smile: Here’s a list of some of the providers:

ArkaHosting
SupremeVPS
UMaxHosting 
Hosting73
HostBRZ
KudoHosting
HostedSimply 
SnowVPS
DCNHost
ServerStrong 
LQHosting 
MegaZoneHosting
StrongHosting 
Bigfoot Servers
SuperbVPS 
x4servers
N3servers
SparkVPS
WelcomeHosting
TCNHosting
SolvedByData
5 Likes

would be much more interesting to learn about the owner of all these shells… seems no one has a real clue and even the usual lowend detectives are surprisingly quiet on that topic so far.

I am also eager to see if on monday chicagovps, hvh or some other CC brand comes to the rescue by helpfully taking over all poor refugees - any bets ?

3 Likes

Jbiloh gave us a nice Christmas gift and “get feature” stuff!

1 Like

Huh? It’s been a topic for years now, the smaller companies with only a few brands are gone, the focus is on CC ever since. Same recipe as always: Chris finds a random person, hands him a template and a license, and ready to go. Support is most likely shared.

Someone will create you a nice name and slogan, and from now on you’re featured on LEB to get you started. Hardware is given and will always be the same with minimal changes across all brands. You also have pretty much unlimited IPv4’s, but thats not surprising. Sometimes these brands share resources and it’s visible if you use HTTrack to download all of the sites.

I don’t exactly know what the next step is, but seems like they’re losing business anyways.

2 Likes

Got 2 medium slices at SparkVPS for web scraping…

cat /dev/xvda | gzip >/mnt/myshit.raw.gz

move on…

zcat /mnt/myshit.raw.gz >/dev/xvda

done

:slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. Open hosting “company”
  2. Get the cheapest dedi on a 75% off promo from shady provider
  3. Offer $1 per year VPS plan
  4. Close down doors after 3-5 months
  5. Profit??
  6. Go back to step 1
1 Like

Just like the good old days. We need Spirit to show up on LET if we want answers.

2 Likes

of course… but what I meant is exactly that ‘random person’ - is it one or many and who is it after all :wink:

CC obviously won’t let themselves get in the line of fire here, so they need a name or company which they can point at if questions arise.

When I said randoms, I meant randoms, really. You can start digging for actual persons, but it’s pointless. Sometimes they make a mistake and show up by themselves, like kevin_vpsao on LET (this guy might not actually be the right example, but whatever).

I did a little digging and only one of the suspected (not yet closed) VPS are hosted on ColoCrossing. Most are hosted on Linode, some on Vultr. However there is clear pattern if you combine all the clues. I have the spreadsheet here if someone is interested.

https://hostingchecker.com/more-than-20-vps-companies-closing-on-monday-are-they-connected/

1 Like

You forgot “offer Black Friday deals that require 1 years’ payment upfront”

4 Likes

This seems common with ColoCrossing hosts - The company’s site is on Linode or Vultr, but all customers are on ColoCrossing. I’m not sure why. Maybe to try and distance it from ColoCrossing.

1 Like

Ya know, normally I wouldn’t cast stones, but your employer is the fucking devil.

Not sure what that has to do with this thread.

Nothing at all, but I just wanted to give you shit beyond using .Net for production code.

Great, I love being singled out.
.NET Core is probably one of the most production-ready stacks… I’ve had better luck with it in production vs Node.js.

Anyways, back on topic… I kinda feel sorry for people that have data on those providers but are away from their devices (eg. on vacation) and don’t see the email. It sucks getting back from vacation only to find that everything is broken.

1 Like

Could be. There were companies on the list that followed the pattern except for the private whois (they had public organization behind it.). The thing is I unless GoDaddy reveals the real owner, we can’t be 100% sure who the owner is or if they all are connected. Based on the data I think they are,but this is just my own opinion. Anyway, they had a lot of red flags and it is beyond me why people would buy from such a shady entity.

1 Like

I’m not sure what’s left to speculate.

Arkahosting? Vanity NS records on the same domain, A record == both vanity NS records, it’s a dropped domain that got parked and then recycled (check securitytrails, whoisrequest…) ~1 year ago, details hidden, at least one offered location is CC.
SupremeVPS? Vanity NS records on the same domain, A record == both vanity NS records, it’s a dropped domain that got parked and then recycled ~1 year ago, details hidden, at least one offered location is CC.
Umaxhosting? Vanity NS records on the same domain, A record == both vanity NS records until three months ago , it’s a dropped domain that got parked and then recycled ~1 year ago, details hidden, at least one offered location is CC
Hosting73? Vanity NS records on the same domain, same IPv4 for both vanity NS records, it’s a dropped domain that got parked and then recycled ~1 year ago, details are hidden, at least one offered location is CC
HostBRZ? Vanity NS records on the same domain, A record == both vanity NS records, it’s a dropped domain that got parked and then recycled ~1 year ago, details hidden, at least one offered location is CC
Kudohosting? Vanity NS records on the same domain, A record == both NS records, domain parked, then briefly set with vanity “kudoservers.net” NS, then parked and eventually recycled 1 year ago, details hidden, at least one offered location is CC
Hostedsimply? Vanity NS records on the same domain, A record == both NS records, domain dropped in 2014 then re-registered a couple of years ago and parked until ~ 1 year ago, details hidden, at least one offered location is CC
SnowVPS? Vanity NS records on the same domain, A record == one of the NS records, domain parked 'til ~1 year ago, details hidden, at least one offered location is CC
DCNhost? Vanity NS records on the same domain, A record == both NS records, parked 'til ~1 year ago, details hidden, at least one offered location is CC
Serverstrong? Vanity NS records on the same domain, A record == both NS records, parked 'til 1 year ago, details hidden, at least one offered location is CC
LQHosting? Vanity NS records on the same domain, A record == both NS records, parked 'til 1 year ago, details hidden, at least on offered location CC

Kayhosting (which is rumored to have deadpool too) is hosted on namecheap. Dropped domain re-registered as the others. A record == both NS records, like all the others. Hidden reg details and no corp info, like all the others. They offer(ed) hosting on CC boxes in at least one location.

Same goes for all the other domains (it’s not like I’m going to iterate the same thing 21~22 times, is it)

And, all those domains (and almost exclusively those domains) were “featured” on LEB, where offers are allegedly vetted. CC sponsored them with infrastructure and articles. They even repeatedly pushed them on twitter. Often, “reseller plans” were offered too. Price spikes a couple of months before BF were also observed.

Who in their sane mind would believe an excuse like “we did our vetting, they seemed legit, really” this round?

According to rumors, even Anise Aschenbach herself has said, once learned about CC:

f*ck this, they’re guiltier than O.J.

It’s up to the popo (I hope someone will start investigating IRL)

4 Likes

Just look in the source code of any of their webpages (I’ve checked hostbrz and hosting73). They are all using the same Google Analytics ID and are including the list of domains it’s valid for in the configuration:

gtag('config', 'UA-129769654-2');
  gtag('config', 'GA_MEASUREMENT_ID_2', {
    'linker': {
      'domains': ['UMaxHosting.com', 'SupremeVPS.com', 'HostBRZ.com', 'SparkVPS.com', 'BigFootServers.com', 'SolvedByData.com', 'N3Servers.com', 'MegaZoneHosting.com', 'KudoHosting.com', 'HostedSimply.com', 'WelcomeHosting.com', 'KayHosting.com', 'Hosting73.com', 'UpbeatHosting.com', 'LQHosting.com', 'SnowVPS.com', 'DCNHost.com', 'StrongHosting.com', 'ArkaHosting.com', 'ServerStrong.com', 'X4Servers.com', 'TCNHosting.com', 'SuperbVPS.com', 'VPSFortune.com', 'MyHostingSrv.com']
    }
  });
10 Likes

there are some names that didn’t pop up yet, like “VPSFortune.com
so the list is probably constituted by 25 domains

I forgot to check GA… it’s pretty incredible how shameless they are
Thanks for the hint!

2 Likes