Windows License for Hetzner Cloud

Does the company have an MSDN or Visual Studio subscription? Some of those subscriptions include complementary monthly Azure credits as long as the subscription is active. If it’s a larger company they may also have a volume license agreement with Microsoft.

Otherwise, I’d really try to avoid the sketchy-looking CDKey sites (as good as the reviews are) and stick to either a data center that has Microsoft volume licensing (ie the VPS comes with a Microsoft license, or the provider charges you for it), or otherwise just stick to Azure.

2 Likes

Thank you for replying. This company does not have MSDN, but other companies i’m involved with do: I didn’t know there could be recurring Azure credits!

My plan at the moment is to push for the application to be installed on Linux and adapted to .NET Core if necessary. Let’s see how much inertia the devs will oppose to this approach.

.NET Core is great! I’m using it for a few of my sites including https://dnstools.ws/ and my blog https://d.sb/. Both running on Debian Linux :slight_smile:

Migration from .NET Framework shouldn’t be too hard if they’re not using many older/legacy technologies (like WebForms or anything Windows-specific). If it’s an ASP .NET MVC app then it should definitely be doable. Microsoft have already said that it’s the future of .NET - they dropped the “Core” from the name in the latest release (it’s just “.NET 5.0” now)

1 Like

I guess the Mono project is obsoleted, then … (I never looked at it myself, just installed dependencies and tried getting stuff to work.) :slight_smile:

Not being a .NET dev myself, I’m unfortunately not in the position to judge whether the code uses webforms; I’m only told it’s ASP .NET and runs on the 2.0 framework. I really hope the software can be adapted, my doubts lie mostily with the developers’ mindset, though.

Reading about Web Forms-Based Web Application…my devs were certainly bought by this catchy line:

it is less complex for application development

Yeah. I used to use Mono but switched to .NET Core as soon as a stable release was available. I think Mono is still in use for some use cases (like Xamarin Android apps) but a lot of the codebase is unified between Mono and .NET Core since Microsoft purchased the company that was maintaining Mono (Xamarin) a while back.

If it only runs on 2.0 then it might be using some outdated technologies. There’s been several major releases since 2.0: Template:.NET Framework version history - Wikipedia

Backwards compatibility on .NET Framework is good and 2.0 still runs fine on the latest Windows Server, but some changes may be needed to migrate it to Core.

1 Like