Is OpenLiteSpeed a good Apache Replacement?

Just figured I’d give it a try, use it in my new webdev project.

I don’t really need a panel for my project, but am a bit tempted to test CyberPanel anyways … :thinking:

Edit: Requirement: CentOS 7/python 2.7 … nah, already installed OLS on Debian

I do just fine with regular apache even at fairly high workloads. The httpd has always been faster than whatever the application server is, and the hosting costs for commercial stuff I’ve worked on has always been much lower than development costs, so there just isn’t any motivation to use LS. I’ve also found Apache fine for my personal stuff since the workload is always very low. Some shared hosts with high loads and low budgets do find LS worthwhile, when they have 100s of virtual servers and that sort of thing.

There are other very fast httpd’s around besides nginx, such as Seastar (seastar.io)'s. I haven’t used them and don’t know where they are in terms of apache compatibility.

Especially at the rate of hardware improvements now of days. Hardware will “almost” always get stronger, faster and cheaper per performance unit than the last gen when it was previously the “latest and greatest”.

Likely due to scale of production vs. dev costs of the production of said hardware.

As you said though a “optimized” stack on the other hand is obviously going to set you back once you consider licensing and additional dev hours required to make it work with anything customized.

I’m not in low end shared hosting so I don’t have a personal or business use case for LS or other non-free web servers. If I needed higher speed than Aoache, I’d check out Seastar, which is free and which probably outperforms LS. Tokio (tokio.rs) with the Rust httpd du jour might be another possibility. The main purpose of LS seems to involve PHP, so its users have already given up on serious performance before they even start. The reason to want something like that is if you are trying to build your own Cloudflare or the like. Otherwise I really do think apache is fast enough for most of us.

Good

Fine

Do you consider BuyVM, Ramnode, Hostmantis low-end ?

Oh my

You start with your own preference for personal use, and end up talking for “us”.

C’mon, LS, OpenLS, LScache outperform Apache in different ways.

Did you even run it to see for yourself ? Or you rather rely on assumptions ?

https://openlitespeed.org/kb/ols-web-admin-console/

Yes of course, they are very prominent on LET. High end hosting that I’ve used has involved either colo cages and Sun hardware (back in the day), or AWS (more recently). Web server in all cases so far has been apache. We were not really big users since our monthly hosting spend was only in the low six figures. But as much as I love BuyVM and the rest of the low end, I’m sure that is way outside what anyone spends at any low end host.

“most of us” remember. What are you running for which apache is not fast enough? How are your applications written? If you say PHP, I will laugh at you and tell you apache is almost certainly fine. Some of the stuff where I worked was custom apache modules that I wrote in C for speed.

What assumptions? LS can beat apache in two ways, features and performance. I haven’t heard anyone say it has features that I consider important. I’ve already mentioned that I’ve found apache’s performance to be sufficient for stuff I’ve done personally (low workload) or at work so far (speed bottleneck is the app server not the httpd, and enough hardware budget to not worry about slight speed differences either way). Or for flat-out performance I’d use seastar which I expect would beat LS, but which is not apache compatible (I don’t really need apache compatibility). Isn’t apache compatibility the main reason to use LS instead of nginx? The use case I see where LS makes sense is lowend web hosting, where budgets are small, performance needs are high, and apache compatibility is mandatory. Unless all three of those requirements are active at once, why would I want LS?

Are you involved with LS sales or development in some way? The first post in this thread looks like a sales pitch, borderline spam though I can understand if it was a paste.

This isn’t LET, let’s keep things civil please guys.

3 Likes

NGINX and “OTHER” on the rise, gladfully

I wonder what “other” is and why it peaked in 2018. I suspect a lot of it might be node.js. I agree that apache is getting creaky if that’s what you’re alluding to. I use it because I’m familiar with it and because I still like to deploy low traffic apps as cgi’s even though cgi has fallen out of favor with the hip crowd (it has been reinvented as “serverless” as someone here put it). Nginx does use fewer resources than apache at reasonable concurrency level because of its async model, but I still find small vps capable of running apache adequately for my purposes.

Sorry that was probably me installing Caddy on literally everything :joy:

3 Likes

So, OpenLiteSpeed is pretty good now, I use it with DirectAdmin (now that they have their $2/m licenses) and no issues.

Just beware of CyberPanel, honestly I haven’t seen worse and more bugged panel in my life.

1 Like

It works well with Webmin / Virtualmin too, for free.