Is Idling Bad For The Climate?

@Solaire Can you name some of them

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/corporate-responsibility/sustainability

https://www.eweek.com/it-management/how-european-data-centers-are-pioneering-green-technology

https://www.equinix.com/data-centers/design/green-data-centers/

1 Like

All Interxion DCs use renewable energy too.

Also, many smaller DCs are renewable energy only too. I would even say, in western Europe is hard to find a decent DC without renewable energy per default (or as an option).

1 Like

Our sole existence alone is bad for the climate.

The end has to come quickly so that Earth could be saved.

Hetzner.

When in doubt, Hetzner is the answer you’re looking for.
Sometimes you don’t even have doubts, or questions. Hetzner is still the answer.
H e t z n e r .
They even offer and detail “Wake on LAN” so the “environmentally-conscious customers [may] turn off their servers when not in use to reduce energy consumption” (sic, taken from their own product pages)

proceeds to cook 250g of beef, which has the same carbon dioxide footprint of the whole Madagascar

I seriously hope you guys are vegan

Anyway, there are some serious marketing gimmicks around, starting from not-so-independent orgs all the way down to European CoCs; pick your venom and happy mining :clown_face:

3 Likes

Running a Narcolepsy forum at Hetzner…

I hope the waking up doesn’t take more than a minute.

Especially for the members.

1 Like

Thanks @mfs @ruben @Solaire

Its hard to wade through all the green washing :nauseated_face:.

Since 2002 I have have been producing all my own power from solar and wind and I also work at installing renewable energy systems for other people.
So when a company says they supply 100% renewable power to you via the national grid then they are lying as the grid contains all the electrons produced in that country. So even if a company owns a wind farm unless they have a direct line to your house they cannot guarantee that all the little electrons that you use are produced by them.

But its nice to see people taking it seriously and yes Hetzner seem to be straight up guys.
We have some green minded clients that want to know where the power is generated but a lot of the so called green business just don’t give a dam.

3 Likes

Is it even possible for a Data Center to be 100% green energy? With the nature of renewable energy sources, additional power sources are pretty much mandatory (even if just used as a backup). At least in respect to sourcing from solar/wind farms, maybe not so much hyrdo/geothermal as that can remain steady.

hydro66.com sir.

Where did you find this deal? Because I’m paying $19 for my @Dedispec box.

1 Like

Sure, though that’s more of a political discussion I guess. In short, Scandinavia and similar regions have a ton of renewable energy that they sell certificates for to energy providers outside of those regions. This certificate basically holds information on the amount of renewable energy a country is willing to sell and this is then signed off by both. With that certificate, the actual renewable energy from Scandinavia can’t be sold off as renewable energy anymore and thus is sold off in Scandinavia as “dirty” energy, but “dirty” energy that is not renewable energy in other countries (like Germany for example) is then legally sold as renewable energy. This is how datacenters and companies claim to be powered by renewable energy and rightfully so, though it’d obviously be a lot better to just cut down on our (energy) consumption in general.

In general, it’s good to see people gradually becoming more aware of the climate, though I have a strong feeling it’s much too late.