Best VPN Provider Right Now?

Love that. It’s not a hard requirement for me, but it’s certainly something I’d prefer my provider to have.

I’d really appreciate that if you don’t mind! Mullvad does look pretty tempting/interesting right now as well :smiley:

2 Likes

Fwiw, run a Speedtest on VPN Unlimited today (Spain, Wireguard) and reached about 123 Mbit/s, while without VPN I got about 180 Mbit/s.
So yeah, not that awesome. Then again, I’m also not close to the 250 Mbit/s I am paying for (but it’s wifi, soo…). Not sure if VPN Speedtest would’ve been higher if Speed without would’ve been higher, too. Still, it seems like an odd day, because my Greencloudvps personal vpn (10Gbps shared) only got 60 Mbit/s (ovpn, but normally gets like 90% of speed without vpn), and Fastestvpn &Goose were also way slower than usual (below 100), so perhaps my network is currently not fond of VPN, my phone has too many vpn apps installed or some sort of other interference. I’d assume it would be different if I tested via PC.

1 Like

It is hard to compare “best VPN provider”. There are so many variables at play. Some providers offer lifetimes, some offer open ports, others pretend to offer anonymity, others have speeds, others have more locations, others have features like browser extensions and updated apps, other can offer OVPN files, some are created for China and bypassing government firewalls. All this is so hard to compare.

I believe in the end people just need to compile a list with precisely what they actually need, then ask for opinions regarding their precise requirements. There are many options, but no VPN offers it all (if it would, that would be so expensive it could not be considered low-end at that point). I tend to think it is about what people actually need, on a case-by-case scenario.

With this in mind, I honestly believe there is no such thing as “best VPN provider”. It is more about what one finds useful. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

3 Likes

Thanks to @Solaire for sending across the creds to try out VPNUnlimited :smiley: Sadly, the performance was far below what I had hoped. I tried a German server (as it was the automatically selected “optimal” server), as well as two different UK servers (as that’s where I am).

Speed test while using it:

Speed test normally:

From wi-fi I was only getting 400 download for my normal connection, so I switched to a VM on my home server to show the full connection speed, hence the lower resolution screenshot

2 Likes

The more and more I read about Mullvad from their site, the more I like what I see! I think I’ve found my choice. Thanks guys!

2 Likes

@Wolveix glad you were able to find what you were looking for :slight_smile: Choosing the right vpn usually is a very subjective pick, depending on one’s personal use case. I couldn’t justify paying a recurring sub for a service that I already have a satisfactory (for my needs) lifetime vpn for. Granted, the token id as a login is nice and paying with cash makes it harder to identify you, but for my use case and “risk level” things are fine as is. Political activists and people who generally would want more Privacy obviously will benefit from solutions like Mullvad/IVPN. Not that this would be the only reason to pick Mullvad though. 40gbps servers and good speeds are another one :smiley:
Enjoy!

A bit of an update. Seems like DSL LAN performed way better than my WIFI test:

Way better result now that I tested on PC (Switzerland, OVPN, Keepsolid):

Without VPN (almost same speed; technically DSL line is 250/40, but I rarely get that):

2 Likes

My NordVPN subscription finally ran out, so I just picked up a month of Mullvad. Absolutely loving their service so far, as well as their policies! Thanks guys :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Mullvad has been solid. There was a blog post the other day that they are taking away the ability to set port forwarding due to abuse. If this is important to people, you might consider that. A few VPN providers do allow static port forwarding, but apparently it is used to host some nasty stuff sometimes and it was too much liability for Mullvad.

4 Likes

Err that is good to know, I’m using a port forward for seeding Linux ISO’s :frowning:

1 Like

Kind of sucks for those people that were using port forwarding imho :confused:
I mean, the extra anonymity they offer, obviously opens up to the possibility of more abuse, but to just stop offering it seems very strict, too. Probably they got into trouble with some of their upstreams as law enforcement doesn’t seem to bother them as much given their last raid.

@Solaire I guess smth like AirVPN (pf: AirVPN - Security check ) might be a good alternative. Glad that I grabbed the 18$ lifetime Ivacy plan with port forwarding a couple of months ago. I already had lifetime Ivacy from 2017 but it was without pf and I wanted pf to open up local gameserver to a friend due to DSlite. Then again, Ivacy is rather cheap as a subscription, too.

Other pf VPNs worth mentioning:

https://www.ivpn.net/knowledgebase/general/how-do-i-activate-port-forwarding/

https://www.perfect-privacy.com/en/software#:~:text=Port%20forwarding%20in%20Perfect%20Privacy,a%20server%20for%20port%20forwarding.

1 Like

It must have gotten out of hand real bad. I’m good though - I’ll just get a slice in Luxembourg, cheaper than most VPN’s and decent performance.

1 Like

Fran will be happy to set you up there :slight_smile:

1 Like

While I still believe Mullvad is great, I picked up AirVPN this weekend for port forwarding purposes (it’s cheaper than a slice as they’re running a promo right now). They’re slightly cheaper than Mullvad and have quite a good track record, albeit not as good as Mullvad and iVPN. But for private Linux ISO’s, I’m sure they’ll do the trick.

3 Likes

Also heard good things about AirVPN (that’s why I mentioned them in my post above). I’m not someone who torrents, but I would still prefer a vpn, since technically your ip is shared and can’t, without further steps, be directly linked to you. If you ordered a slice, if the ip can be linked to your slice it’s easier to figure out who’s responsible sort of. Of course, the VPN “advantage” only applies if you pick a decent VPN to begin with.

2 Likes

Yeah you’re absolutely right, but Fran doesn’t care about Linux ISO’s in Luxembourg it’s not an issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, fair enough :slight_smile:
I wouldn’t doubt Fran, was just thinking that in case a DMCA raid happened, he would have info on you, whereas VPNs like Mullvad sort of vow, they don’t.

I.E.: if Mullvad actually doesn’t keep logs, they can’t say IP x was used by user y at day/time z.
While Fran or any VPS provider could easily (be forced to) say “IP x belongs to vps y from client z”.

I imagine usually governments wouldn’t announce “we are going to start fighting piracy now/we are going to raid provider xy now”. But if there is no data, nothing can be taken, as in Mullvads latest raid.

1 Like

I have read good things about them too, with the exception of their Wireguard support is pretty new and can be hit or miss. I haven’t tried it myself. I switched to Wireguard on mullvad and my speeds increased significantly. I was close to dropping mullvad because if their iOS client issues, but the beta has been working fine, so I’m going to stay. The port forwarding didn’t impact my use case.

1 Like