{repost} VPS equivalent of a cPanel Account in an AVG shared hosting service

So as you all know (…I think) we lsot 5 hours of fun in this forum, so I’m re-posting this topic.

SO the original topic went somewhow like this.

Imagine the following scenario.
You want to move a website + DB from a shared hosting server running on cPanel + Litespeed + Cloudlinux + Whatnot TO a VPS.
How to make sure your website performance does not degrade, BUT instead that it improves?

The initial concern, I think, would be hardware wise.

Two nice folks had replied tothe old thread (AFAIK), here are their contributions.

@vovler

Check your Cloudlinux limits, run cat /proc/cpuinfo . Now match it with your VPS. When it comes to software it’s usually not worth to buy a LiteSpeed license, so maybe just run CyberPanel (OLS) or CentminMod (Nginx).
In case of WP, don’t forget to install a decent caching plugin, I recommend LSCache for LS/OLS and KeyCDN Enabler + Autooptimize for Nginx.

But consider Shared hosting as it has it’s own advantages, especially a reseller account.

you can create one cPanel account per website, so if one of your websites gets compromised, the others won’t (reseller account only). Isolation takes a bit of work on a VPS, but Docker is always an option.

you don’t pay for licenses for software like LiteSpeed

you don’t have to manage/update shit

@imok

Keep in mind that to compare you should use the same software in the VPS. I made a mistake once moving a site from shared hosting with LiteSpeed and LSCache to Nginx with the default config.

@vovler
I believe most shared hosting businesses do not allow you do connect via terminal. So can’t do that much digging.

PHP can get the job done.
Extracted from HetrixTools PHP Monitoring Agent

// CPU Info
$cpu_info = file(’/proc/cpuinfo’);

// CPU Model
$cpu_model = explode(": ",$cpu_info[4]);
$cpu_model = base64_encode($cpu_model[1]);

// CPU Speed
$cpu_speed = explode(": ",$cpu_info[7]);
$cpu_speed = intval($cpu_speed[1]);