Question for High Bandwidth Users

We are considering launching a high-bandwidth product and I’d like to learn a bit from those that have experience in this field (providers or customers)

• How important are server specs here?
  • Related to above, is amount of RAM and/or Storage Speed more important in these cases?
  • How important is the quality of the network?
  • Are these targets of frequent DDoS attacks or same as any other server?
  • What price ranges do you usually see from quality providers (if any)?

I don’t believe this breaks the forum policies, but if it does, feel free to delete it.

Thanks!

JoseQ

5 Likes

Forum policies. I laughed :joy:

7 Likes

Currently using a high-bandwidth server for Plex (and other associated uses, such as, syncing accounts, etc.).I use ~100TB-150TB/mo, so I’ll chime in. Proof:

• How important are server specs here?
    • For me, very important. Currently using a i7-6700k, but could definitely use something with even more power. For my specific use case, a lot of video transcoding is being done and the remote storage is encrypted, thus adds some processing overhead as well.
  • Related to above, is amount of RAM and/or Storage Speed more important in these cases?
    • No. I could get by with 16GB RAM (currently at 32GB). A local SSD is essential for local metadata / server files. Can be small, though. 128-256GB would be fine.
  • How important is the quality of the network?
    • Not of high importance. One of the hosts I was with before this was single-homed Cogent and that held up fine. However, there was a noticeable difference when I moved to a provider with a better blend. So I’d say it’s not essential, but does come into consideration a bit.
  • Are these targets of frequent DDoS attacks or same as any other server?
    • I’ve received none for this specific use case. The services running on it aren’t advertised publicly. Highly dependent on the use case, probably.
  • What price ranges do you usually see from quality providers (if any)?
    • Well, I’m paying ReliableSite $59/mo for i7-6700k, 32GB, 256GB SSD + 2TB HDD, 150TB BW @ 1Gbps in NYC. No idea how this is profitable for them, but for the quality and cost, I can’t find a suitable alternative elsewhere without looking into SYS/OVH, which I’d rather avoid for the time being.
7 Likes