Global Chip & PIN Implementation

I only use my cards in this fashion. For what I was told my contactless is not active cause I never used it (first time requires the pin) and I want to keep it that way.

Portugal is always pretty fast adopting new techs that faciliattes getting people $$$ out of their wallets, actually everything tech we are always on the top spots…
Internet Speed
Banking (for instance, paying your bills in an ATM is old news here, we can pay everything for ov er a decade in any ATM you find around, and there’s plenty around. from taxes to services and everything in between, same goes for online bancking, BCP was awarded the best Online Banking platform in the industry).

Ohh we don’t have many DCs but we get awards.

• Data Centre and Cloud Leadership Awards

• Data Center da Covilhã won the prize Excellence in Data Centres Architecture and Design Award.

Like @Miguel would say, we’re small but with a huge ego, lol.

4 Likes

It’s illegal in the UK since 2006 to implement credit/debit POS that don’t use chip & PIN. Magstripe is batshit insane, no other way to put it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I can’t remember the last time I was able to simply swipe my card in the past couple years here in the states. All my cards have chips, and every place I’ve shopped at requires chip (but no PIN).

2 Likes

Sounds about right!

They don’t require a PIN? How odd haha. How have you found the implementation? Are you and Chris located in vastly different locations?

you misread, I simply avoid using cards in any way, I prefer paying in cash. due to the reporting I mentioned.
When I do use a card, then I go for the chip/pin instead of contactless.

I’m in Portugal, and yeah, you might be right about the blame thing. I’m taking their word for it…

1 Like

I do understand :wink:. What I was saying is that the fact that your government tracks your card payments is irregardless of the way you pay (e.g. via chip + PIN, contactless or otherwise). Except of course cash (to some extend at least). So it wasn’t really relevant to our discussion.

Hmm, never had any issues there paying contactless. But yeah, I’m just one person.

2 Likes

The way invoicing works is… payments below €1000 to not require the buyer personal details (Name, fiscal number, address). So if I pay in cash the invoice is issuedto the fiscal number #999999999 and the Name field is going to show “Client Final”. So basically the state has no way to know it was while the company selling the product/service keeps it all legit by issueing a proper invoice.

2 Likes

Sure, I wasn’t necessarily referring to the payment method as such but other things like CCTV footage that can easily trace back to you, despite paying cash.

1 Like

How can you guys carry only your credit cards and no cash? I’m always afraid that my card won’t work for any reason so I always bring the amount I want to spend in cash aswell…

Oh god me.

1 Like

Our systems are just reliable to the point where that’s just not really a concern. I haven’t really carried cash in 5+ years. Worst case, an ATM is never far.

3 Likes

Well, if my card is declined I have 2 others. If that won’t work, I’ll go to an ATM to get me some cash. Happened to me only once in well over 10 years.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine not being able to use my phone for everything! When I have to do chip and pin it feels retro now. Most days I don’t even need my wallet with me!

When I was in the states last year it was a massive shock to have to sign!

4 Likes

Stress,

I take card out for ease - paranoia of declining
I take cash out - paranoia of robbery (rough area :wink:

Plus, these pesky paper £20 notes are so fimble they always tear for me. Waiting for more monopoly money notes

Should just cut the shit and use Google Pay :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ve only just got a phone with NFC, so contactless via a phone (instead of using built-in contactless inside of cards) is pretty new to me haha.

1 Like

Google pay is amazing! Virtual card number too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

CCTV… that w whole different level lol. I’m no criminal so there won’t be an investigation on me so no one is going to fetch recordings of me drinking an expresso while eyeballing the girls ass next to me.

Small shops don’t ussually have it though. Because it’s kind of useless and it requires burocracy.
Why is it useless?
Well… because we don’t have all that many roberies, most shop owners want CCTV to control their employees and that’s illegal. Yeah that right… let’s say that you went thru all the trouble of legalizing your CCTV setup… you watch an employee stealing cash from the cash registrer… tough luck, you can’t do shit about it. If you accuse him of stealing and meantion the CCTV , then he can sue your ass, cause it’s considered abuse and infrigment on his privacy.

The work around is to hire a securityh firm, they are th eonly ones allowed to watch the cameras… yeah that right… so the vast majority of SMB’s (tyhe shop) can’t afford to hire a security firm to station a security gard on their premises to watch the cameras all day. Thus useless… lol.

3 Likes

Oh well… New law will ask for phone verification sometimes, so I’ll most likely drop my card anyways.

2 Likes

I love it and with Google pay you never need your card!

4 Likes

In Poland all new cards come with magnetic strip disabled, because it’s damn super easy to duplicate, thus super insecure. You can activate the magnetic strip temporary for a few days, weeks. I’ve never seen a bank in Poland that enables the magnetic strip permanently.

Contactless payments are they way to use the card here. They are quite fast. Definitively faster than cash or typical “insert chip” payments. You just get the card close to the terminal and that’s it. I had to use the “insert chip” method only few times in my life (not counting trips abroad).

3 Likes

Replying on hostballs and buying a sausage roll at the same time… Priceless

3 Likes