cPanel Price Increase - What's next?

We didn’t switch but started offering DirectAdmin based plan. We didn’t get any single complaint from our customers. They loved the DirectAdmin and happy with it. Also, few old customer’s moved to DirectAdmin and they think site’s are performing better on DirectAdmin based server.

3 Likes

As @Francisco has mentioned over on LES, cPanel (along will all other Webpros products [WHMCS, Plesk, SolusVM]) is up for sale by Oakley.

Expect more price hikes / licensing changes / other fun stuff once this goes through. Who knows… maybe Deluxe will be interested (wouldn’t that be fun).

1 Like

I vaguely recall some of people on LET saying that Oakley would sell Cpanel shortly after the price hike.

Just move to us already :wink:

I’d like to do it, but you are too far from me. I’m in Latin America.

1 Like

Ahh yeah that’s a bit far :frowning:
One day!

1 Like

If they do another price hike I’ll likely just sunset our cPanel offerings all together and give people a 60 - 90 day window to arrange a migration to DA or we’ll move them ourselves.

We almost did that this time but DA was missing many things we wanted. Mark and co’ have worked hard and have the product in a much more competitive state and by the time another hike happens (I suspect that if Oakley doesn’t offload it they’ll hike in the next 12 - 18 months again), it’ll be stupid not to mass migrate.

Francisco

3 Likes

What the hell? :open_mouth:

The end is clearly nigh.

2 Likes

Monthly licenses are now available - and on sale - through my.apnscp.com. Use the promo code EARLYBIRD for $10 licenses, valid in perpetuity. Promo expires at the end of the year. :tada:

4 Likes

We would be glad to offer DA and what not but unfortunately we have to offer what customers want/demand. While cPanel is popular there’s nothing we can do. Migrating to another control panel is a suicide as long as cPanel is an industry standard. When we entered the market back in 2009 we started offering Webmin/Virtualmin. It’s a great control panel with all the functions cPanel offers and they have a free GPL version with almost no limitations. Very soon customers started to bombard us with requests to move to cPanel. So, to stay in this biz we had to swap to cPanel (leaving only one Virtualmin server still running to this day btw). Moral of the story: no matter how good a control panel is, you have to follow the trend.

1 Like

The industry gladly put nooses around its neck and lo and behold, cPanel tightened the rope. It’s a cautionary tale of why an industry needs differentiation and viable alternatives and moreover why those businesses need to invest R&D into innovation.

Any business that predicates its business on a mixture of licenses isn’t a business, but a reseller. Your model is tethered to how that vendor controls its pricing with no security in the long-run. It’s myopic planning and I’m sure that rope burn doesn’t feel pleasant.

2 Likes

This is such an accurate analogy, but still - don’t kink shame.

1 Like