Brave Web Browser

The internet is still in its infancy.
It’s likely that none of us will live to see the day but I reckon the net will be regulated in 100 years or so and your identity on the net will be tied to your ID.

I hear this is being implemented in S. Korea already.

It’s the only one I could find with many different tests in one graph.

Been an Opera user since 1996 (the very beginning) and was also involved in the community.

After Jon sold Opera, he started Vivaldi and most old Opera community members moved over.

So, it’s not that i was suddenly drawn to Vivaldi, it was more the 20 yrs commitment to Opera and its natural upgrade / evolution into what became Vivaldi.

Vivaldi Community

Vivaldi Free Webmail

1 Like

Oh nice, I had no idea that Vivaldi was created by the owner of Opera. Opera was my daily driver a very long time ago, so that’s pretty cool to hear :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used it for a while…ended up going back to chrome. Idk why :smiley:

I like my browsers like my distros. Open and non-derivative
(I generally use Firefox or Chromium)
sometimes I have to use Internet Exploder in a VM just to log into a local governmental site, that’s enough bravery for me

Parliamentarians of the majority government had just proposed this in my country. “People should be able to post on the internet only if their handle match their ID in some governmental database”
The alleged purpose is to stop cyberbullies, hate speech and fake news.

And I ain’t even in S. Korea, just S. Europe

Canada is next

The mere fact that such an idea is being suggested means it will get traction one day.

Not any time soon but one day.

It’s going to end up recentralized and everyone will have to have their packets tagged before they even get out of their damn house at some point.

I’m not worried at all.

There will always be better places to move to.

A company that profits by removing ads that support the creator and replaces with their own and share allegedly 70% with the user, I dont know about you but thats shady as fuck.
That is not just ad-blocking anymore, that’s literally stealing from the creator.

Because of shit like this there are more stuff behind a paywall.
Needless to say I have a special kind of hate for this browser.

Do you know those viruses (adware) that put a bunch of ads on your browser? That’s basically Brave with a 70% share gimmick.

5 Likes

That’s certainly one way of looking at it, and I don’t necessarily disagree. Either way, I don’t use Brave’s own ads since that would kind of defeat the point. I still whitelist certain sites, just like I did before :stuck_out_tongue:

All signs point out that the end is Amitzly nigh.

After only a few days of using it, I’m moving back to Chrome. There were a few minor web UI glitches that only happened while using Brave, and @vovler’s point definitely got me thinking. Additionally, I usually listen to music via Plex in a pinned tab, but Brave adds an annoying mute toggle switch which I was constantly hitting…Chrome’s default right-click option to mute a site has always been sufficient for me.

The two main reasons I originally made the switch was due to the native ad blocking (on mobile as well which was great) and privacy-related reasons. I’ve learnt a lot from it and have tailored Chrome a lot more :stuck_out_tongue: It’s also worth noting that Brave prevented my MacBook Pro from being able to sleep, which was…strange.

1 Like

Give Firefox a shot :slight_smile: It has improved greatly over the last years especially with the Quantum engine and more recently Enhanced Tracking Protection. Haven’t looked back to Chrome for almost a year now, except when doing web development work because I got used to Chrome devtools.

3 Likes

Firefox was my daily driver for a while, then I switched back to Chrome I believe for performance-related reasons. I temporarily switched back with the release of Quantum, but it wasn’t enough to make me switch permanently. Plus, I’m too used to Chrome dev tools at this point haha. I might give it another shot though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Other than, you know, DNS over HTTPS, which by default goes to CloudFlare.

I don’t think naming the browser “Brave” was a wise choice…I’ve never heard of them.

I used it back when it had built-in Tor support. That was interesting. (They seem to have removed it? Or at least it is not advertised in the features page)
It seemed rushed in some aspects and lacking details, but good overall. It is based in Chromium so it is similar to other browsers in many things.

I am using Firefox nowadays, though

Built-in Tor tabs/windows are still there, use it all the time. Alt + shift + N on Windows or alt/option + cmd + N on Mac.